Metzeler has launch a new ST tire, Z8

keny

RoadtecZ8Interact_big.jpg

Comes on 120/70-17 front and 185/55-17 and 190/55-17 rear at first.

Curius to see how they are compared to the Z6. A friend gets a set mounted soon.

link to metz web site

From the launch bikes a 190/55-17 will be awable shortly :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I've got my new Z8 tyre for my 2k1 RC46.

Here is the first impression:

The turn in up to 50Km/h is very easy, but at higher speed (appr. 90km/h up) the steering is a LOT harder, than my previous (and beloved) Pilot Power. I was a little bit sad because of that... :)

The tire is stable, like riding on rails (almost too stable). Like bikes with steering damper...

It absors the bumps a litle better, than PP.

The grip is very good, i like that there is no need to scrub in with metzeler (and pirelli)

The compound seems to be soft, almost PP softness, so i'm curious about the mileage.

In Hungary, the asphalt is too smooth, sometimes a bit shiny, so the grip is a must! (i'm usually getting 12.000 kms from PP :) ), but the Z8 feels good in this hot days.

I'm going to Croatia next week, so it will be tested 2 up, with a lot of luggage.

So far my tyre top list is:

Pilot Power - Very good (my all time favorite)

Pilot Road 2 / Z8 - good

Pilot Road - average

Diablo Strada / BT020 - piece of shit (esp. the diablo strada was a big disappointment, because of the lack of grip on smooth surface, it was scarry sometines)

PS: please feel free to ask, but sorry for my english :)

• Member Contributer

7,500 miles from a set of Pilot Powers is amazing and I guess that puts into perspective just how smooth the roads are in Hungary. :blink:

• 3 months later...

So far, the tire is soooo good :)

The more miles on it, the better i love it!

I've done the trip with luggage 2 up.

There was an incredible rain, but the tire was fantastic (better than my mate with PR2+VFR+luggage+2up)

Now there is 0-2 degree celsius at night, but the tire is good (of course with some smooth throttle), and grips suprisingly good!

• Member Contributer

I had a Metzler on the rear, a Z6? perhaps... been a while. Thought it was great and the mileage was excellent. I see you didn't like the BT020 (the fronts were very bad) but have you tried the BT021s? I've run them now through to my second set. A good tyre and FAR better than the BT020 they replaced. I'm curious how the Metzler would compare to the BT021s.

Though in reality, here we rarely see the brand as most will use a Pilot or BT variants.

I'm curious how the Metzler would compare to the BT021s.

Though in reality, here we rarely see the brand as most will use a Pilot or BT variants.

******************************************************************************************************

The BT21 rears, traction wise are much better than z6's , i ran metzelers for quite a while, the z6 is the longer life tire though. I dont know what metzelers game is with the z8, longer life or better perfomance. Rarely do you get both.

I havent ran the new BT16 rear, but I think the center is BT21 compound, with softer sides.

what ever I run on the rear , it goes on with a PPower front.

• 5 months later...

Totally agree with PeC, the Z8s make the VFR totally stable...at low and high speeds....but wonder what happens after half the threads are gone.

Archived