Best Bang for the Buck Bike to Bike Coms

micahm

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

So I would love to hear comments and suggestions for best bang for the buck top 10 kind of thing for the following Requirements:

Understood: Good Quality (sound, connectivity, volume) communications no crappy stuff.

*In order of priority*

1. Driver to Passenger Communications

2. Bike to Bike Communications

3. Additional Interfacing (Phone, GPS, other adio devices etc.)

Thoughts?

• Forum CEO

I bought an autocom a few years ago, its rather a mess of wires and adaptors but the sound is top notch. It depends on what you want, simple or complacated with good sound? It has auto mute for talking if your playing music, or radar alerts, radio adaptors, cb adaptors. It mixes well and does not overdrive the custom earphones I have, I could not hear the speakers too well since my helmet makes too much wind noise.

• Member Contributer

Scala Rider Q2 Multiset - meets all EXCEPT does not support A2DP over bluetooth. (i.e. to listen to Music / MP3's, must connect cable that comes with it)

- Rider passenger communication = perfect

- Bike to bike communication - great up to 1/2 mile

- cell phone over bluetooth - Great up to 60MPH, above that they can still hear you perfectly (noise cancelation built in), but there is no enough volume for you to hear them

Scala Rider G4 Powerset - meets all

- Rider passenger communication = perfect

- Bike to bike communication - perfect up to 3/4 mile

- cell phone over bluetooth - Great up to 70MPH, above that they can still hear you perfectly (noise cancelation built in), but there is no enough volume for you to hear them***** - I am assuming as I have not had a call on the bike since I switched to these a week ago.

I have both of these and they are great. Both sets ARE stereo (i.e. 2 speakers in the helmet)

If you do NOT need A2DP (stereo bluetooth) get the Q2 Mutiset as it is only $250 online

If You want to be completely cord free the G4 Powerset runs $350 online.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I'm with Terminex on the Q2 Multiset. I've used it for a few months now and love it. For the price, you can't beat it. You can probably find some decent deals on it with the new G4 out now.

• Member Contributer

Yup Q2 multiset for sure, and just get a pair of those little yellow foam ear plugs and you can hear just fine above 60MPH As long as you have a good helmet.

I agree 100%. I have the multiset. I've used it for rider / passenger communication and it works great. Rider to rider works great also. I wear earplugs and have taken a call at 85mph with no problems what so ever. I only listen to music for long rides so while I was initially disappointed that I couldn't bluetooth my ipod to it, it's not a big deal.

• Member Contributer

I have a Q2 Multiset and a single G4 unit, which is fully compatible with the Q2 units. I love both versions. The Q2 has served me well for close to 10,000 miles now, including through rain and a bit of snow. I just started using the G4. Cardo makes stuff that gives you a real bang for your buck.

Once upon a time the best bang for buck was with these acoustic jobbies: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/backchat-vixen.htm

You can't beat them for simplicity: no plugs, no batteries, just one "wire". They are supposed to work pretty good too.

I remember when I was a kid the earphones on planes used to just be acoustic tubes that would plug into speakers on the armrests. I think they used them in the cabin too.

I don't know if they are still made tho.

I have two systems: Autocom and Cardo Scalarider G4. Both systems works fine - and I have added bluetooth to Autocom. But I strongly advise Scalarider because all is integrated in one devise and you don't need to have power lines from the helmet to the controller. And it is much cheeper to connect between to bikes - Scalarider is compatible with older (and cheaper devises). Talk between bikes with Autocom is expensive!

The sound experience is good from both systems - but Scalarider is just a generation newer - and truly wireless.

The Scala product line is appealing from the wireless standpoint but they don't appear to support using custom ear plugs as speakers. I sent them an inquiry and they just stated that making any modifications to the speaker would void my warranty.

I ride my VFR solo and my Goldwing 2-up.

On my VFR I just plug my custom plugs (was gonna say Big Ears but, :fing02:) into my Zumo.

The EdSets intercom system I have on my helmet is modular and lets me plug my custom plugs into the unit on my helmet but I still have the lower cord to the IC. This set up does let me use the Edets mic with my Zumo to make phone calls which is nice.

I'd love to lose the lower cord. Has anyone modified any of the Scala products to allow for custom ear plug use? :idea3:

Ok all you audio/electronic wizards, possible or keep dreaming? :musik20:

Stay Safe!

Any ideas on a device for rider to rider that you do not have to attach to a helmet? Will a walkie talkie with a VOX ear piece and mic be sufficient? I don't need quality, just something that will work good enough.

I have what I call a high tech/low tech setup. I already owned a Nuvi 350 and a BlackBerry. What I ended up doing was find a deal on a Scala Rider Q2 and also purchased an inexpensive Griffin iTrip universal FM transmitter.

The BlackBerry is paired to the Scala and works fantastc for making and receiving calls at any speed I travel. Since the Q2 has a built-in FM radio, I plug the iTrip into my GPS. I can listen to MP3's on the Nuvi and the instructions will obviously override the music. What I also like is that a phone call overrides the FM. The GPS resides in the clear map pocket of my tankbag and can be operated with gloves on.

The downside...the music is in mono and doesn't sound the best...but still....I didn't want to break the bank and buy a new GPS.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy,

So I would love to hear comments and suggestions for best bang for the buck top 10 kind of thing for the following Requirements:

Understood: Good Quality (sound, connectivity, volume) communications no crappy stuff.

*In order of priority*

1. Driver to Passenger Communications

2. Bike to Bike Communications

3. Additional Interfacing (Phone, GPS, other adio devices etc.)

Thoughts?

Don't know what your budget is but I've had my O'Neal Fastrack for over a year & it has served me well in all your requirements with only a few issues.

The music & GPS part of it is great. I linked it to my Bberry, iPhone & Garmin with no problem. GPS is great cuz the little voice talks OVER the music just like if you were in a car so no interupting my tunes. Music bumps loud & clear until I hit 85. I can still hear it but now that I have a Givi windscreen all the air get redirected from my chest to my head & it is a little hard to hear all the words. Phone calls are ok as long as you're doing less the 50mph, after 55mph you can forget about being clearing heard but I didnt get it for calls so that's cool. Although both sides of the helmet have speakers & one can be removed for "legal" reasons, if they were a little better quality, I'm sure every word would come through crystal clear regardless of speed. My biggest issue is with the padding. The button is easy to use even with my big ole thick winter gloves.

I talked to the guys at O'neal and according to him, they spent all last year reading reviews from people who have the Fastrack and worked very hard to improve what everydody complained about. The new Tirade Bluetooth Helmet dropped last week and is said to be a drastic improvement for group rides with 450 meter helmet-to-helmet intercom. I'm getting mine on July 9th & will let you guys know how it is.

With a new helmet I'll be able to go to Radio Shack and experiment on changing out & improving the speakers just in case the new one suck.

2010-ONeal-Racing-Tirade-Bluetooth-Helmet.jpg

Archived