6th Gen Seat Cowl side tab repair, with what?

PACIFICMAN

Today, while restoring / prettying up my '02 from a track day, I noticed that one of the seat cowl tabs had bent back between the seat and the cowl (I have no Idea how). The tab is still connected to the cowl along the "spine" at the edge. The "feet" of the 4 ribs are detached at the base. The Question: What should I use to reattach the "ribs" / tab to the inside of the cowl. It does not have to be pretty as it is hidden from view, however, I want it to be STRONG. I will probably reinforce the other side as a precaution using the same technique. I am thinking some sort epoxy filler but I am hoping someone on here will share their experience / opinion on this subject, Thanks!

• Member Contributer

The carbon fiber was some I picked up at a hobby shop years ago. I coated the tab with JBWeld, pressed a piece of the carbon fiber into it and then added an extra coat of JBWeld. Once it had dried I trimmed the excess, sanded, and redrilled the holes. Most any durable fabric should add rigidity/strength.

• Member Contributer

Here's my $5 fix.

I just use two small plastic pieces about 1mm thick as braces for the broken off tab. I use epoxy to hold all the pieces in place. It's stronger than ever. I doesn't look pretty, but it's working great for me. See images below.

tab-fix.jpg

tab-fix1.jpg

Archived