ANYONE INSTALL ONE?

hottrodd7

Call me lazy--but I'm use to the gear indicator on my Hayabusa. I was wondering if anyone ever install one of these GiPro Gear Indicators on their VFR? If so, does it work as well as stated? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VFR800-Interceptor-Transalp-GIPRO-DS-H01-GEAR-INDICATOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de1bad03QQitemZ360208641283QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

post-19840-127184970085_thumb.gif

• Member Contributer

Call me lazy--but I'm use to the gear indicator on my Hayabusa. I was wondering if anyone ever install one of these GiPro Gear Indicators on their VFR? If so, does it work as well as stated? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VFR800-Interceptor-Transalp-GIPRO-DS-H01-GEAR-INDICATOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53de1bad03QQitemZ360208641283QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I just installed mine this past Friday. It was a very easy install, I took the small panel next to the guages off to get the plug, but I probably did not need to. The indicator works well, though it cannot tell you what gear you are in unless you let the clutch out a little, so sitting at a light, if you want to check if you are in first, you need to clutch out a bit. Not enough to move the bike, but a bit. On the other hand, I need to put some kind of shroud around it or change my mounting angle, because some angles get washed out by sunlight.

I just installed mine this past Friday. It was a very easy install, I took the small panel next to the guages off to get the plug, but I probably did not need to. The indicator works well, though it cannot tell you what gear you are in unless you let the clutch out a little, so sitting at a light, if you want to check if you are in first, you need to clutch out a bit. Not enough to move the bike, but a bit. On the other hand, I need to put some kind of shroud around it or change my mounting angle, because some angles get washed out by sunlight.

Was it hard to install? Is it just plug-'n-play?

I installed the other brand Acumen in my instrument panel. But they both work the same way. I think the Gipro is a little smaller than

the Acumen but the Acumen had a lot of differant colors and had model specific wire looms I believe the Gipro does also.

I installed the other brand Acumen in my instrument panel. But they both work the same way. I think the Gipro is a little smaller than

the Acumen but the Acumen had a lot of differant colors and had model specific wire looms I believe the Gipro does also.

So--was it just plug-'n-play? If so, what does it plug into?

Suzuki does gear indicators best. There is a small contact on the end of the shift drum. Over that sits a "switch" with 6-7 contacts depending on the bike. That way you can change gears and never move and it will signal the gear you are in.

The only problem I've had with Accumen or any similar product is there is usually a small lag time between gear changes and the indicator indicating the gear change. With Suzuki's set-up, it is instantaneous.

which side speedometer or odometer? Also any pics of final install?

• Member Contributer

I've been thinking about getting one of these. I saw it at the NYC bike show. It's smaller than the GiPro, and also has a programmable shift light. $124.15 for my '98 after a 10% show discount. Koso has a lot of nice stuff. I'm also looking at their grip heaters, which come with a nice controller.

kn000k00.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have been running the GIPro DS on both bikes since day 1 and love them. Plug & Play on both of mine.

I have been running the GIPro DS on both bikes since day 1 and love them. Plug & Play on both of mine.

Thanks for the info---I'm thinking more and more about install one--now to decide which brand!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info---I'm thinking more and more about install one--now to decide which brand!

I hada GiPro on my previous ride (Suzuki V-Strom). Plug and play; it was great. I'm planning on doing the same with my VFR.

Archived