Cardo Scala Rider Q2 - I like it

NT11

I bought a Cardo Scala Rider Q2 bluetooth headset. My observations:

1. Installation is easy, but I had to move some stuff around on my Scorpion EXO900 Helmet to make it fit. The Scorpions are tight anyway, but I squeezed the mic in and there was plenty of room for the little speakers.

2. The unit itself appears very well built and engineered. The "brain" of the system looks like an extra large AAA egg, and slides on and off the mount on the helmet. Big, easy to feel buttons for volume, radio, and call answering.

3. SO the phone rings for the first time while I'm riding. In order to answer, you just say something, anything, into the mic, and voila! Now we're talking. Sound is clear, but volume is a bit low, and I had it to the max. I was fine up until about 65 mph, then the wind made it a little harder. For the most part, it was a very clear convo. My buddy said I sounded clearer than in my truck which has a hardwired mic, so that was good. Then again, everybody complains about my truck. Two thumbs up for the phone convo.

4. Plugged the iPod into the jack on the back. Sound is OK, but very tinny. No bass whatsoever, but it works. It auto mutes if you get a call which is cool.

5. Tried out the built in FM radio. Works fine. Finding channels is a slow process, but you can save up to six presets. Sounds fine. Again no bass, but whatever.

All in all, I'm happy with it, and I would recommend it to others. Still got some playing around to do, but I like it!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the write up. I've been toying with getting one of the devices and any feedback is appreciated. Any attempts at bike-to-bike comm yet?

I have this system also, the multiset. I love it. I don't use the radio, I've tried a few times but really need to sit down in my house and get the presets setup rather than try to get it ready on the ride. Plus I'd rather pay attention to my ride. Phone is great, it's wonderful to be able to call and receive calls, I just make them real quick. I typically call my wife on my phone right before I leave so that I can just hold the volume down button on the device as a redial. I found that works the best.

My wife and I have ridden with it as rider to passenger and it works amazing. Very clear, but up above 65 it gets a little harder but it still works. Haven't tried bike to bike yet. I do have a friend who is getting the same unit. You're supposed to be able to link it to another device, ie me to my wife and me to my buddy. We'll see how this works as we have a tandem trip planned for early June.

The mp3 I find useless. I don't have an ipod, but I plug my blackberry which I imagine is the same thing into it and even sitting in my house I can hardly hear anything. Not sure if this would be better with an actual i pod though. Overall very happy.

I found it for $200 on ebay, and bought it from newenough.com for $200. He wasn't happy to do it because I guess that's just over their cost. He used the opportunity to cc Cardo on the email to gripe about the differences in wholesale cost so it worked for him. I normally don't want to get a good deal at the sacrifice of profit for a good company but I had just spent over $700 there and figured it was okay...

• Member Contributer

I've got the older Scala Team and it works very well. Going to update to the Q4 before summer hits, as its a blue tooth hub and can handle 2 connections at the same time for drive. So that gives me phone and Sirius from the BT doggle. Plus my soon to be wife can link in and hear the Sirius and pair her own phone. Which the wife needs because she is always gettting calls from work when we are on the bike.

Trick to the hearing it above 65mph is those little yellow ear plugs. I use them and its super clear, just need to cut that little bit of wind noise. And even with all this going on, I can still hear traffic and the bike with no issue, so thats not a worry. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I've been using the Q2 Multiset for over a year now. My brother and I have used the set for several long-range trips, and it's hard to imagine how we got along without it. I use it with the built-in FM radio, my Sirius Radio, my cell phone, and my MP3 player.

I stopped using the GPS voice prompts; the biatch never seems to shut the hell up and continuously cuts into my conversations and music. I prefer just visually following the little pink route line.

I'm going to pick up one of the new stereo G4 units so my pillion or a third rider can also tune in. They are backwards compatible with all Q2 units.

By the way, I have not had any problem hearing the other person, even at speeds up to 85 or even 90 mph. I wear ear plugs and have the speakers right against my ears. Of course, my brother does speak loud (always) because I'd swear he's half deaf. Guess the helicopters he worked on in Viet Nam and the incoming did a number on his ears but, as he points out, he got off easy compared to some of his friends. But I digress... offtopic.gif

• Member Contributer

I have a Q2 Multiset that I've used a handful of times now. So far, so good. The biggest thing is the placement of the speakers in the helmet. If the volume sounds low, move the speakers, or even add the extra pads that come with it to get them closer to your ears.

I've used it to talk to my pillion, made a phone call or two, and for voice prompts from the Zumo. I'm quite satisfied with it. I agree with Knife, though, that the GPS can be a pain. She tends to talk too much which does cut off conversations with my passenger.

Archived