Chain Rivet Tool

Guest Hammerspur

• Member Contributer

Hey that looks exactly like my Motion Pro version, just more than half the price....I must have paid for the blue box!!! :biggrin:

I have that exact unit, 3 uses and the pins started breaking... we'll see if the $16 Motion Pro pin lasts longer... comp13.gif

The Motion Pro parts interchange?

That's good to know!

• Member Contributer

I have that exact unit, 3 uses and the pins started breaking... we'll see if the $16 Motion Pro pin lasts longer... :fing02:

I was wondering if the parts were interchangeable. Looks like this tool is a complete knock-off of the MP unit -less the press plates (unless they are mounted in the clamp instead of sitting in the case like the MP unit has them in the recent units. Does it come with the press plates? Do the MP press plates fit in? Can you, in fact, use the MP pin replacement set?

As for the fragility of the pins, the Motion Pro tool also has fragile pins. You have to be very careful with it or you'll wreck them too.

I had a garage break-in a couple of years ago and the bastids got EVERYTHING (except for a few junk tools that came with a bike in a tool kit and my tool box itself -thieves aren't going to waste their valuable time stealing junk). So I need a new chain tool before my next chain install. I figured this would be a low-cost alternative since I only do a chain every couple of years. I'm not as rich as I was back when there was actual work to be had in construction. All my good tools were replaced with Harbor Freight stuff and even so, with this chain tool purchase I've put over $1000 into new tools (even buying at Harbor Frieght!)

Needed a chain tool and didn't want to spend >$100 on something that is used so infrequently. It'll be my luck if these no-name chain tools start showing up at Harbor Freight this summer for $35 :fing02:

I replaced my sprockets and chain at the end of riding season last year. I put on a Regina chain and it came with a rivet master and a clip on master link. The rivet master isn't like a DID master, it is solid, no dimple and I don't have the Regina tool to compress it. So, I put the clip on master link on. It has been flawless, but I don't feel so confident in it and haven't pushed the bike since I replaced the chain. Is the clip on ok? I think it said to use the clip on for 500cc or lower. If I need to replace it, can I put a DID link on a Regina chain?

I have that exact unit, 3 uses and the pins started breaking... we'll see if the $16 Motion Pro pin lasts longer... :fing02:

I was wondering if the parts were interchangeable. Looks like this tool is a complete knock-off of the MP unit -less the press plates (unless they are mounted in the clamp instead of sitting in the case like the MP unit has them in the recent units. Does it come with the press plates? Do the MP press plates fit in? Can you, in fact, use the MP pin replacement set?

As for the fragility of the pins, the Motion Pro tool also has fragile pins. You have to be very careful with it or you'll wreck them too.

I had a garage break-in a couple of years ago and the bastids got EVERYTHING (except for a few junk tools that came with a bike in a tool kit and my tool box itself -thieves aren't going to waste their valuable time stealing junk). So I need a new chain tool before my next chain install. I figured this would be a low-cost alternative since I only do a chain every couple of years. I'm not as rich as I was back when there was actual work to be had in construction. All my good tools were replaced with Harbor Freight stuff and even so, with this chain tool purchase I've put over $1000 into new tools (even buying at Harbor Frieght!)

Needed a chain tool and didn't want to spend >$100 on something that is used so infrequently. It'll be my luck if these no-name chain tools start showing up at Harbor Freight this summer for $35 :fing02:

Yes, they're interchangeable. It does not come with the press plates, and I don't know if those will fit this tool. I just use a vice grip...

I replaced my sprockets and chain at the end of riding season last year. I put on a Regina chain and it came with a rivet master and a clip on master link. The rivet master isn't like a DID master, it is solid, no dimple and I don't have the Regina tool to compress it. So, I put the clip on master link on. It has been flawless, but I don't feel so confident in it and haven't pushed the bike since I replaced the chain. Is the clip on ok? I think it said to use the clip on for 500cc or lower. If I need to replace it, can I put a DID link on a Regina chain?

As long as the pitch is the same, you can use any brand rivet link. Get rid of the clip as soon as you can!

• Member Contributer

I guess it is up to you.

I've run master clip chains since the 70's when I first started riding. I've raced dirt bikes for decades and have seen chains come and go over the years. I've had a few chains break and a few master links fail. I know how to properly put on the link after a few false starts as kid/n00b. :fing02:

I had one master link fail on my '81 GPz550 and the chain flew into the engine doing a lot of damage. I got really lucky because on the Kawi KZ550 series engines of the late 70's early 80's had a removable primary driveshaft cover that held the bearing and oil seal. This part was destroyed, as well as the "chain guard" around the front sprocket that died to protect the rest of the main engine cases ahead of that from the entire heavy chain jumping into the sprocket area. It only cost about $100 for the parts back then to get it back onto the road. If it had busted the engine cases that would have been the end for that old bike as a new engine would be more than the bike was worth since it was 5 or 6 years old at the time.

Back in the 80's any bike that had 100hp was considered a monster so a clip-link master wasn't a big deal and did the job fine. These days there are plenty of bikes at the 150hp range. The VFR only makes about 100hp so it's kind of at the edge of what is safe to run an old-fashioned master link IMHO. You might get away with it and never have a problem. The question is, do you want to risk it?

When a chain separates it is either going to be spit out the back or it will feed itself into the engine. So you have a 50/50 chance there. I guess it depends on where/how the link breaks. Probably less than a 50/50 chance because it will probably break under power and the chain will have already fed itself around the back sprocket and the broke end will already be heading straight for a tea-party with the engine cases.

Personally, I'd put a rivet-type master link on the chain that is approved by the chain maker. Call me paranoid. I never want to go through that ordeal again on any of my motorcycles. Cheaper to just do it right. And if it does happen I'll be buying a crashed bike for an engine swap...

That's a pressed clip master, even losing the clip , I've never had a pressed sideplate move. How ever with no clip I dont like that. But any post 100 riding those clips tend not to stay on more than a couple thousand miles, even glued.

any shop can put your rivit master on in about 10 minutes for $20 or so , On the VFR I'd recomend the rivet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I got my tool from these guys. It seems just like the Motion Pro tool. If someone where to imprint the Motion Pro logo onto it you'd have a hard time telling the difference. I don't have a MP chain tool to compare it to at the moment so I'm just going from memory.

I ended up ordering press plates just for S&G's because I like using them. I haven't had the opportunity to use this tool yet but it looks like it'll work just fine.

Using it to break chains probably won't happen as I don't want to deal with broke pins (just like the MP tool tends to break pins too). The easiest way to break a chain is with a cut-off tool or other grinder and then maybe use the tool to press out what is left. All of the chains I've bought new in the last few years have been cut to length and when I go to remove one it's destined for the metal recycling hopper, so being careful with it isn't a big deal.

The case doesn't come with a spot to put the press plates in but I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes to position them in the case and they stay there just fine. I should take a photo and post that. Plenty of room -so I'll have them when I go to use it instead of not being able to find them. I can't wait to try this tool out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just picked up one of these from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $9.99! I just couldn't pass that price up. I can throw it in the bike's took kit for that price. It is a china special so the drive pin would probably not do well for breaking the 530 chain (just a guess) more than a couple of times -but it would certainly do for riveting a rivet-type master link. No problem. It doesn't take much at all to do that. No press plates -but as other's have said you can just use a pair of slip-joint or tongue 7 grove channel-lock pliers for that anyhow.

I use a pair of chain plates from an old chain as press plates. Just drill the holes out a little and then squeeze w/ the tool, keep going till the posts of the new link are flush with the outer plate, viola perfect. I found a way to never break a pin again too...

Oh, have no use for a chain breaker either, as the grinder does the job on the heads and then a flathead screwdriver + hammer makes super quick work of popping the link out. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I use a pair of chain plates from an old chain as press plates. Just drill the holes out a little and then squeeze w/ the tool, keep going till the posts of the new link are flush with the outer plate, viola perfect. I found a way to never break a pin again too...

Oh, have no use for a chain breaker either, as the grinder does the job on the heads and then a flathead screwdriver + hammer makes super quick work of popping the link out. :cheerleader:

I agree. This Harbor Freight $9.99 special I just bought would be all the chain tool anyone would ever need. I've seen people make pretty decent and usable rivet tools out of a standard construction beam clamp and a ball bearing. If you are careful and know what you are doing it isn't very hard to do. A tool like this would work great. Buying a rivet-type chain shouldn't be a big deal for even the most timid of home mechs as a tool to button it up is no longer something only pros can afford. $20 for something to rivet the master isn't a big deal at all. Nobody has to go out and buy a $120+ chain tool any more.

Archived