Black wrinkle powdercoat

Veefer800Canuck

Well, since I have to swap frames, I had this wild hair today that perhaps powdercoating the frame and swingarm in "wrinkle black" might look good, especially with the white/black RC51 paint scheme I have planned.

Example:

miata_valve_cover_wrinkle_black.jpg

m30cover3.jpg

I've never had any experience with this type of finish however, and was wondering if it would be hard to clean, especially after riding in the rain, getting all sorts of chain spooge on the swingarm, road grime, etc???? :comp13:

• Member Contributer

I've never had any experience with this type of finish however, and was wondering if it would be hard to clean, especially after riding in the rain, getting all sorts of chain spooge on the swingarm, road grime, etc???? :comp13:

Uhh, that would be a YES to being hard to clean. It's not impossible but it definitely takes some effort. Hard to tell from the pics but my wheels are coated in a heavier texture while my exhaust shields are a smooth texture. IIRC the shields were a powder called Black Mini Tex. The smoother texture doesn't trap dirt at all.

MoreVFR005.jpg

VFR23.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not sure how much of a maintenance issue this will present, but it def. looks waaaay better than gloss black on the frame and the swingarm. Sine the color is black, the swingarm won't need to be cleaned as much. Frame cleaning is not really needed at all if you ask me. But I'm a lazy slob... :comp13:

Honestly, I have a ton of experience with powdercoating, as in me paying to have it done, not as in me actually doing the work.

This is just one set of my many, many sets of powdercoated wheels.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=636227

For my money you do not want to go with a textured finish, especially a crinkle. The problem is keeping it clean, you will not be able to use a cloth of a microfiber to dry it because the texture will grab and hold the cloth fibers. You will always have to clean it with something like a soft bristle brush because a wash rag or sponge is going to have the same issue as the dry rag, the crinkle texture is going to eat away at the cleaning cloth and you will be left with little fuzzies all over. And, if that is not enough to drive you crazy, should you bump into it with a rag that has wax on it, you wil be in for a real challenge getting the white wax powder completely off of it, let alone you will need to explore the use of all sorts of not-white-drying-wax in order to put a protective coating on it.

The aluminum chin spoiler on my S2000 was a crinkle finish, I hated it so much I had it powdercoated to a gloss black, now cleaning and detailing is way easier, and it looks better because crinkle finishes always appear to be dull or flat to me.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=52949

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=52948

I hate how this forum does not support posting images with [ i m g ] [ / i m g ]

• Member Contributer

Veefer:

Given any thought to pick up truck bed liner spray like Rhino Liner or something similar?

Pete

I have rhinoliner or similar on my truck and it does not stay black for long.

It is also a biatch to clean. Once it gets dirty (grey stains, etc...) there's pretty much no way of making it look new again as far as I know. The liner seems to absorb dirt and oils in its pores.

Satin would be a good alternative to wrinkle IMHO.

Gloss just don't look right on swingarm or on frame. Kinda like chrome. Bling is not my ting, YO.

:fing02:

TripleH:

Those Honda wheels look great! How did the powder coating hold up? Any chipping or flaking?

Pete

Thanks!

Those are rare JDM wheels, never made available by Honda in the USA

I actually shopped for 5-years for them...

I have gotten a few little chips, but I still love them

I do a lot of abusive driving on country roads, so a few nicks are sort of expected

I hate how this forum does not support posting images with [ i m g ] [ / i m g ]

It's because of your image code from where they are stored.

your image code ends with "viewimage&img=52948"

If it ended with a simple .jpg or .bmp or .png it would display just fine.

Test: (black satin powdercoat)

Rapide_head_L_BLK.jpg

Filename ending with "Rapide_head_L_BLK.jpg"

Archived