Custom Datel Voltmeter

BrittC

• Member Contributer

I've been looking for a voltmeter, and ran across a BMW owner who built his own that I liked a lot..... so I figured I would replicate his work. I rarely ride in the dark so I don't need an LED unit. I was interested in LCD, and the Datel works great for my needs. And I didn't want to cut up my dash so it had to be a surface mount unit.

I bought a BUD Potting Box (part number: 563-PB-1558)....

Box.jpg

.... a BUD potting box cover (part number: PBC-1558-CN)....

..... and a Datel LCD digital panel meter (part number: 20LCD-1-DCM-C).

Datel.jpg

All were from from Mouser Electronics and arrived extremely quickly - www.mouser.com

I carefully measured and using a razor, cut an opening for the unit in the potting box.

Boxcutout.jpg

Boxcutout1.jpg

The Datel unit slipped right in.

MeterInstalledRear.jpg

I used 5 minute epoxy around the edges of the Datel unit to hold it in place as well as waterproof it. I took a charger from an old Nokia phone, cracked open the transformer to get at the wires, cut off the other end, and wired that to the terminals on the Datel unit. I used my multimeter to compare voltages at the battery and used the adjusting screw on the Datel unit to calibrate it. Cut a slot to fit the cord through, epoxied it in place, and then epoxied the potting box cover on the back of the potting box. I am fairly confident that water cannot get into the box.

I mounted the box to my dash with 3M Dual Lock velcro.

Here is the meter with the engine warmed up and idling:

IMG_3999.jpg

Here is the meter at 3000 RPM:

IMG_4006.jpg

I have found my voltage readings to be very consistent at any RPM over idle (pretty much 14.7 volts at any RPM above idle). I purchased a VFRness but have not installed it yet. Maybe I won't need to but now I feel better about being able to keep my eye on my electrical system.

Credit for this project goes to: Surface Mount Datel LCD Voltmeter Install Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Scratch this idea!

I washed the bike the other day and barely got the LCD screen wet... and suddenly it's showing that my bike is only putting out 9 volts. Once it completely dried out, it consistently shows that it's getting over 15 volts. My multimeter tells me that my custom voltmeter is lying to me...

Oh well, it was a $30 learning experience!

• Member Contributer

Scratch this idea!

I washed the bike the other day and barely got the LCD screen wet... and suddenly it's showing that my bike is only putting out 9 volts. Once it completely dried out, it consistently shows that it's getting over 15 volts. My multimeter tells me that my custom voltmeter is lying to me...

Oh well, it was a $30 learning experience!

guess it picked some moisture during the washing