HJC FS-10 or IS-16 (Your thoughts)

marid2apterbilt

I have been looking at helmets lately and like the HJC brand for its prices and features. I already own the SY-MAX I and II modulars which are great if you wear glasses and the Internal tinted visor on the SY-MAX-II is a great feature also. You dont need to carry a clear visor if your out past dark plus it is polarized which helps cut glare in the rain.

I found the FS-10 on closeout for 100.00 and the IS-16 for about 150.00. The reviews I have found say the IS-16 is a quieter and better air flowing helmet.. Both of these have the internal tinted visor (Fighter pilot look)

Does anyone here have 1 or both of these and your thoughts..

Any other Brands have the internal tinted visor that are worth looking into, Preferribly a fullface, NON modular helmet..

• Member Contributer

I have a large white IS-16, it's a great helmet and probably one of the best for the money spent. It fits great, it's lighter than the AC-12 series with the sunshade! The sunshade works great and was the only reason I got it. My only complaints is that it's louder than the AC-12. Most of the noise comes from the top vents. The other thing I don't like is that when the sunshade is down the clear shield fogs really fast when stopped. On the bright side it defogs instantly when ya start going.

The IS-16's sunshade setup is better than the FS-10. The IS-16 has 3 positions on the shield. I got mine for 130CDN on special so it was a no brainer, I wish I bought two actually.

I have the FS-10, and I am quite happy with it. I bought it too large and hated it until I replaced the cheekpads. The helmet is a tad noisy without earplugs. I don't recommend it if you will be riding often without earplugs.

The IS-16 looks like it has the shade mechanism as the SY-MAX II, which has much better design.

One point of correction though: the SY-MAX II does not have a polarized shade. If anything, I find mine to be almost useless as it is light smoke. I purchased it for its modular and retractable shade features. I now only use it for its modular feature.

If you're looking for shade from the light, then the FS-10 will do an outstanding job.

As a suggestion, if you wear prescription glasses, consider getting prescription Polarized Wiley X sunglasses. They will give you peripheral vision, and keep dirt and dust out of your eyes. I actually use this brand for my primary glasses as well as polarized. The field of vision they give you is incredible. I also don't have to worry about breaking them or bending the frame. If you ever try them, you won't regret it. I purchased mine from www.opticsplanet.com. Great service. Don't waste money paying for expedited service. It'll still take a minimum of a little longer than a week (don't ask me how I know. Calling them daily did not speed things up either :biggrin:).

I have tried the following options:

1. Dark smoke visor: Work great but are an effing nuisance to keep swapping around while on a long trip. At the start of one trip, my transitions glasses darkened and were under the smoke shield, causing me to doze off on the highway due to the combined near pitch-black darkness, LOL.

2. Retractable shield. FS-10 shield is great for in-town and shorter trips. SY-MAX II is not dark enough to be effective. I have quit using the shield.

3. Polarized Prescription Sunglasses: hands down, the most effective protection, period!! Easy to swap out on a trip without taking gloves off (using a tank bag, of course).

I haven't held or tried out an IS-16, so I can't speak for it's sun-shade effectiveness, but I won't be surprised to find out that it is light smoke, and not dark, given that it uses SY II mechanicals. The FS will be fine if you wear good earplugs.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, Madrid. HJC makes great helmets. You'll enjoy whichever one you choose.

I had the IS-16, key word was had. I didnt like the amount of wind noise. so after 5 or 6 rides with it, I sold it to a buddy. I guess trying to replace an RF-1000 is like trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Jason, I've had the IS-16 for a season. It is far quieter than previous helmets (I can hear the mp3 player now) and I love the sun shield.

I recommend it all the time.

• 4 months later...

I have the IS-16 and use it daily. The visor doesn't fog up ever and yes I can hear the mp3 up until around 90Kmh. Great helmet!

• Member Contributer

I have had the IS-16 for a year and find it to be average +. It is noisier than I would like and doesn't flow air very well, and for me in Arizona, that's a big deal. Apart from these cautions, it's comfortable, easy to clean and has held up well. I expect to keep it for another year.

Archived