Which would you buy? a '92 or '86 VFR750?

Guest safdt17

Guest safdt17

Hello, trying to decide on two different bikes. One is a 1986 VFR750 with 18,000 miles on it, the other is a 1992 with 39,000. The 1986 is $400 more, both look solid and are well maintained.

Go with newer tech or old school?

thanks

ben

Hello, trying to decide on two different bikes. One is a 1986 VFR750 with 18,000 miles on it, the other is a 1992 with 39,000. The 1986 is $400 more, both look solid and are well maintained.

thanks

ben

92 has the better engine & chassis, better tire selection, just as bulletproof, single sided swingarm with 8 spoke wheel, etc. The 86 is a bit lighter. I'd go for the '92, unless you're looking for short term only, in which case the '86 would sell quicker, due to the lower mileage.

If you want a bike to keep, go for the '92. Or save a little more and go for a 94-97. What's your price range? I'll be selling a '96 soon...

Tough question, I got an '86 as my first bike but it was not so solid, about a year ago I picked up a 4th gen which was very solid (and now a little more solid). See which seating position you like better, I believe they're pretty different from 2nd to 3rd gens. Personally I'd go with the '92, my newer one feels like you're in the bike more and is more comfortable to ride, feels more natural to turn/stop/etc

Pics!

• Member Contributer

The 92 was better looking IMHO but whichever one rings your bell is the one to get. Parts availability and aftermarket stuff would also be a concern to me but then again if you don't care about any of that the 86 could be made into a very sweet Fred Merkel/Bubba Shobert relplica.

• Member Contributer

they both look really clean. If I were you, I'd sit on both of them and see which one feels better. If you don't have much experience with bikes, you may not know what to look for or what you like, in terms of ergos, so this may be a toss up. You probably won't go wrong with either one. Which one is the most comfortable, most conducive to the riding you want to do, and looks the best to you? That's the one you should pick.

• Member Contributer

thanks

ben

Buy the '92 and then tell me who's selling the '86 so I can buy it. :biggrin:

Dirk

Archived