First mod ideas

Guest danmurphymn

Guest danmurphymn

So I'm less than a month away from getting my first VFR! and I'm looking all over the US, but mostly within the midwest (driving distance). I've found them with mods done and mostly stock. I'd like to get one from an owner who has done some of the mods already, but there is a very nice one close to me that is mostly stock. So here's my idea of the first few that I'd be looking at:

Touring windshield

Heli Bars

Luggage Rack

HID Headlights

Grip Heaters

I'd like ideas from you guys on how much these will cost and where to find them for the best deal. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

First off. Which generation are you looking at getting? That's going to be a bit of a factor on parts availability.

I think you need to look around and see what kind of parts you actually want. Saying I want a touring windshield is like saying I want a can o pop/soda. Lots of different kinds, and different prices. DIY heated grips are just north of $30. But you could buy actual grips with heaters in it, or I've seen heaters that go into the handlebars themselves. Those are more expense I believe.

There are a few windscreen companies out there. Probably the popular three are Zero Gravity, Puig, and Givi. I've bought my ZG DB for around $60-$70. You're probably looking a few bills more than that for a touring screen.

Luggage racks vary as well. Looking for soft luggage, full GIVI bags, OEM hardbags, Pelicans? A set of hard luggage is probably going to be $400 and up. Soft luggage is easily had for any price. You have to look around and see what you want.

HIDs: Thought they were coming down to the $100 level. There was a thread not too long ago about HID conversions. Look it up in the forums.

Heli bars. I think they're $150 range. Someone else should give a better idea.

Pretty much you need to poke around and see what you like.

• Member Contributer

Welcome. My first inclination is to tell you to get the bike first, ride it as is and see what you like, or don't, about it. The only mod I knew I wanted to do before I bought it was the seat. I knew I wanted a Corbin seat with a backrest for the gf. Also a set of OEM hard bags.

I've got less than 1k miles on it, but so far nothing is screaming for a mod. I did pick up a set of grip heaters and some new gel grips that I've had my eye on for a bit. But that's it. I'm going to ride it a lot more before I decide what to mod next.

• Member Contributer

If it is third or fourth gen: first go to Tightwad's "wiremybike.com" and click on the pic of your year model. Select the appropriate VFRness. Pay. Wait a couple days for it to come in. Install immediately.

*Then* ride it and see what you do/don't like. You can make sure you have a good charging system first (the 3rd and 4th gens are relatively notorious for weak electrical). But for 50 bucks it is a no brainer.

5th gens there seems to be "jury still out" on the charging system. I put the VFRness on my latest, and a new rectifier/regulator (r/r) to be sure. I did not put a meter on it first...the headlights would go bright as the revs increased then dim around 4-5k rpm. They don't do that after VFRness (VFR harness).

6th gen: look around on this site! I really don't know much about them, save what I read. I like gear drive cams...

Cheers! and welcome aboard!

• Member Contributer

Yep, I would also say get the bike first. Some of the mods you list are "personal," and some are not. In other words, you may not need some of these mods because they are based on a specific bike and how you fit it...

You may not need Heli bars - or a taller windshield might put the wind higher, but right where you don't want it. You won't know until you ride one.

The grips sound like a good idea judging by your location, but you might find that the HID setup is really unnecessary. Who knows.

So, yeah - get the bike, ride it a bit, and see what really shakes loose as "needing to be fixed." You may come across issues on this site or during some time with the bike that were never on your list. Good luck!

Guest danmurphymn

I feel ya knockin. Realistically I'll wait to buy some of the stuff until I can actually ride. The grip heaters if they are economical enough I may just to anyway. I figured it'd be a few years before I could upgrade my last bike, and when my wife said I probably could this spring, my brain went crazy. I don't even have the bike and I have a laundry list of todo's. I did sit on one today and I think I would like the heli bars to sit further back. And by the looks of it the windscreen will be one of the first purchases also. Other stuff I'll wait and see. Thanks for the info...