Is repainting factory exhaust headers feasable?

Guest LJVFR

Are you'll ready for this...... I wipe my pipes down with oil and haven't had any rust with this bike or my '99 VFR (100k / 40k)............ The smoke and smell are gone after a few miles.

Are you'll ready for this...... I wipe my pipes down with oil and haven't had any rust with this bike or my '99 VFR (100k / 40k)............ The smoke and smell are gone after a few miles.

Really? What kind of oil are you using?

-Mike

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Monk, I know a guy here in Upstate NY that sprays the bottom of his brand new trucks with old motor oil using a pressure sprayer....never has rust on his vehicles. I had a Plymouth Voyageur that I used to rub cheap grease on rust spots. The grease broke down and the oil seeped into the metal.Any substrate(sp?) that was left coated the spot...no more rusting. Wasn't pretty and you had to keep clothes away, but no rust. I think I will start using oil on my rear down pipes...thanks for reminding me.

• Member Contributer

Here's another twist to this topic: Nickel Plating.

That's an interesting idea! If anyone is interested in learning about metal coatings and corrosion resistance, here is an interesting article:

http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/20-build-it-yourself/1149-metallurgy-for-homebrewers

It was written in reference to a brewing environment, but applies to all metals.

Here's the opening paragraph to whet your appetites:

"Corrosion

All corrosion is basically galvanic (that is, related to electrical currents that are induced when two metals are in contact with an electrolyte). While this statement may be an overgeneralization, it helps explain how and why corrosion occurs. The electrochemical difference between two adjacent metals creates a battery. If there is an electrolyte present, such as water or beer, then an electric current will flow and the more active of the two metals will ionize. These metal ions will readily combine with oxygen to form oxides or other corrosion products. Corrosion can also occur between two adjacent areas on the same piece of metal, if the presence of dirt, a chemical or a scratch can make the two areas seem electrically different from each other."

Now, back on topic...

• 2 months later...

These are my bike headers, which I also sandblasted myself, again down to perfect white metal, then had them ceramic coated:

000_0085.jpg

They still look good. That`s road dirt and chain crud on the headers in the picture below, not rust:

Sorry for dredging up another old thread, but Veefer - Oh My Gawd... Those are gorgeous! I was searching the forums for the best way to refinish my exhaust and even though it will be more expensive, I think that is going to be the way I need to go.

Thank for posting that picture.

Archived