BMW Gear without Gore-Tex

solohvs

• Member Contributer

BMW riders who want gore-tex better get it now.

My source tells me BMW lost it's license to manufacture and sell clothes with GORE-TEX in 2010.

Now don't get me wrong - there are loads of proprietary fabrics that serve the same function as the waterproof/breathable GORE stuff.

I'm sure a new fabric will replace the Gore-Tex but it's NOT the same and I'll be curious to see what happens next.

And I realize that BMW does not actually make the stuff (like tires, engines and batteries?)

I have a GORE liner in my Rallye Pro 2 jacket and pants. The problem is that the entire suit gets soaked BEFORE the liner comes into play. I stay dry, no problem there, but the suit takes days to dry out after a couple hundred miles in the rain. In the summer I wear mesh of leather and throw on a rain suit when the weather changes. Lots of good products out there - but putting the weatherproof barrier on the outside makes sense to me even if it had to be reinforced for the sake of impact protection.

So what are you wearing? Aerostich?

Oh yea, while we're at it; REVIT will debut their NEW Gore-Tex line this spring.

I still love my leather.

Brian

• Member Contributer

BMW also sells gear that is waterproof on the outside such as the Streetguard2/3 which, at least as far as protection from the elements is probably the best suit there is.

Also the comfort shell line. I have the pants version of each of the above and rate them very highly. If I could only have one pair of pants it would be the comfort shell. Huge operating range (50 degrees and up) and they fit pretty close for textile and they look good IMO. The c-change membrane stuff is pretty awesome.

I also have a cycleport mesh kevlar pants.

My year round jacket is a Rev’it Ignition (leather/mesh with “waterproof” liner and insulating vest). Very versatile jacket but won’t keep me dry in anything other than a light rain and not the best quality in some areas of construction. Pretty happy with it though. I hope the new Rev’it line that features outershell waterproofness includes a close fitting sport-type jacket with some of the new Gore-tex waterproof zippers for vents. Unfortunately I see them catering to the ADV crowd more. It would be nice to see Rev’it improve their quality as I have read, and experienced, many quality related problems with their gear considering its considered a premium brand. BMW gear is significantly better made IMO.

From either personal experience or legend I would say Aerostich and Cycleport are both the kings of durability but neither are super stylish if that matters to you.

I've done the connecting zipper mods so all my gear zips together (pants/jacket)

I doubt it’s a case of BMW “losing” their license to use Gore material as it’s more likely they have found other products that work better or have exclusive agreements with people like Schoeller (sp?) .

BTW, saw your same post on ADVRider.

If BMW can't use the trademarked GoreTex material anymore I'm sure they'll find a suitable replacement quickly enough.

BMW apparel seems to be really good stuff, but expensive when compared to other major brands. Even more so when those brands are on sale or closeout in shops and online.

If BMW can't use the trademarked GoreTex material anymore I'm sure they'll find a suitable replacement quickly enough.

BMW apparel seems to be really good stuff, but expensive when compared to other major brands. Even more so when those brands are on sale or closeout in shops and online.

I agree with you Tim, since GoreTex® was the pioneer of this fabric, it has long ago been duplicated in a quality fashion.... I started out using Beemer stuff, because back then they were the only ones making GT® clothing that I knew of(before Internet). Most everything I have is GT®(or same type)now, love the stuff. REI® is one of my favorite non MC stores for riding clothes.

I should say that it's used under protective mc gear.......

Archived