Honda Hard Bags And Rain

Knute

• Member Contributer

Howdy All,

Just kind of curious if anyone has had any issues with the Honda hard bags leaking?

• Member Contributer

If you have a wife like mine you will go touring with a large assortment of hair driers, straighteners and shoes you will find the will leak a touch due to overloading.

On occasion I've seen a slight water accumulation. IIRC it was always the left side (clutch side of the bike), when the bike stayed for extended periods in the rain while on the side stand, never while riding. Be sure to keep the gasket clean and watch you don't pinch stuff while closing, so that you don't damage the rubber.

BI

• Member Contributer

I have Corbin Beetle Bags and they leak like a sieve. The lids don't even have the same exact contour as the bases. I'm going to swap them out for something else if I ever again have any discretionary spending money.

• Member Contributer

Never any leaks; but as mentioned earlier, the top of the case around the closing mechanism may accumulate some water if the bike is left sitting in the rain (maybe a shot glass worth). Just make sure you towel it off a bit before opening it, or the water will spill into the case.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to All who gave feedback. I did recently purchased a used set and am now a little curious about leaks, suppose I should have asked before buying. :blush: Anyways, judging from what I read here, it seems I needn't be overly concerned about it. Thanks again.

Thanks to All who gave feedback. I did recently purchased a used set and am now a little curious about leaks, suppose I should have asked before buying. :blush: Anyways, judging from what I read here, it seems I needn't be overly concerned about it. Thanks again.

CAREFULLY check the foam rubber gaskets on the lids looking for nicks, contusions, etc. as well as the any irregularities on the lip of the cases (bumps, nicks, dirt deposits). It doesn't take much to allow water to dribble in. When new, the VFR OEM cases are known to resist leaks very well, so there must be a compromise of the seals on yours. After your visual inspection slide your finger along the mating surfaces, Any irregularities can lead to leaks.

BI

• Member Contributer

CAREFULLY check the foam rubber gaskets on the lids looking for nicks, contusions, etc. as well as the any irregularities on the lip of the cases (bumps, nicks, dirt deposits). It doesn't take much to allow water to dribble in. When new, the VFR OEM cases are known to resist leaks very well, so there must be a compromise of the seals on yours. After your visual inspection slide your finger along the mating surfaces, Any irregularities can lead to leaks.

BI

I haven't had the in-opportunity to test them in the rain yet (pretty much a fair weather rider for now) so I don't know yet if mine leak. My guess is they probably don't, as they appear to be in very good condition. I think I'll give them a good squirt with the garden hose to see what happens.

Archived