180/55 On 4th Gen

Guest TylerDurden

Guest TylerDurden

This has probably been discussed before but I wanted to get some feedback on personal experience

running 180's on a 4th Gen. I'm looking at a Road 2 combo of 120/60/17 & 180/55/17.

I've seen comments regarding this wider tire affects the stability, yet we're only talking a

tenth of an inch wider than stock. I do more sport/canyon riding than touring and wanted a tire

set more suited for this.

Comments?

Buy a 5th/6th gen wheel and you will be one happy camper!

Mine handled like sh1t when I tried it... But, that was in like 1996.

Things may have changed over the years.... Well, I doubt it.

In 1998 I bought a new wheel and the orginal 1996 wheel never went back on the bike.

How did it affect the handling.....if you can recall?

How much machine work is involved in the rim swap?

How did it affect the handling.....if you can recall?

How much machine work is involved in the rim swap?

You'll have to carve out the back lip of the rim to fit over the rotor bolts. The 5th and 6th gen bikes have the bolts flush mounted on the axle hub. I don't think I have a pic of the axle, but ideally if you can find an 8 spoke 3rd gen wheel it will bolt right on and is 5.5in like the 5th and 6th.

I have one already cut...

What is it worth to you?

I can even put a new tire on it and balance it for you.

I threw on a 180/60/17 Conti Attack and hit the Santa Monica mountains over the weekend to get

an idea what a 180 would do to the handling. Didn't notice any hint of sketchy characteristics in

the handling, matter of fact the tire is quite sticky with smooth transition.

The one thing that did stand out was the chunk taken out of the acceleration.

That being said, I'm not going to entertain the thought of swapping out the rear rim to run a 180.

Found a 170 Road 2 for $150

Thanks for the offer though!

What is it worth to you?

I threw on a 180/60/17 Conti Attack and hit the Santa Monica mountains over the weekend to get

an idea what a 180 would do to the handling. Didn't notice any hint of sketchy characteristics in

That being said, I'm not going to entertain the thought of swapping out the rear rim to run a 180.

Yeah, 180's and up on a 4th gen with 5 inch rims just end up as heavy bling accessories that can slow you down. I guarantee that you will not miss the stick with a 170 on your stock rim as long as you get a good quality tire. As for handling, it can really just only get worse if you go bigger with our 5 inch rims because you are distorting (pinching) the designed profile of the tire.

Glad you did not fall for the "bigger is better" trend on this one.

JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

It's not so much a matter of a 1 centimeter difference between the tires. The reason is that 180 tires are designed to mount on a 5.5" rim and (most) 170's on a 5 inch rim. By mounting this, you're essentially flattening out the profile of the tire and this is what affects handling and stability, usually in a not good way. It's not a huge difference, it's still possible, but not recommended.

And I agree, wider is not necessarily better, wider means slower turn in.

• Member Contributer

What is it worth to you?

Yeah, 180's and up on a 4th gen with 5 inch rims just end up as heavy bling accessories that can slow you down. I guarantee that you will not miss the stick with a 170 on your stock rim as long as you get a good quality tire. As for handling, it can really just only get worse if you go bigger with our 5 inch rims because you are distorting (pinching) the designed profile of the tire.

Glad you did not fall for the "bigger is better" trend on this one.

JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

I ran a 190 rear on my 5th gen and was not impressed at all. Thinner tires are quicker turning too. You don't need such of big area of contact riding on the street anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
This has probably been discussed before but I wanted to get some feedback on personal experience

running 180's on a 4th Gen. I'm looking at a Road 2 combo of 120/60/17 & 180/55/17.

I've seen comments regarding this wider tire affects the stability, yet we're only talking a

tenth of an inch wider than stock. I do more sport/canyon riding than touring and wanted a tire

set more suited for this.

Comments?

PO put a 180 rear on my 4th gen and it handles like a Harley with a flat tire and blown rear shocks. Don't do it.

Archived