6th Gen Headlight Melt Down

Stucky

From the top...

About two weeks ago my right headlight went out. Being lazy and cheap I have just been riding around with one bulb. I am moving to San Diego and the government is shipping my bike. This means I have to remove the battery, as well as drain the gas, oil, & coolant. Upon leaving my bike running in the garage, trying to use up the last drop of gas, suddenly the previously "burnt out" bulb miraculously works. It didn't seem excessively bright (drawing too much current), so I didn't really think too much of it at the time. Well moments later I could smell the all too familiar stench of burning electronics. I immediately turned off the bike and tore it down to find this...

DSC_3729.jpg

DSC_3737.jpg

Any ideas on what caused this? The connection between the bulb and connector was very weak when I removed it, but this could of been due to the heavily disfigured plastic. My initial thought was the bulb was close to burning out and thus pulling too much current, but that doesn't explain why it would not turn on for the two prior weeks.

I guess this is a dealer fix then? I would love to fix this myself, but I don't have the terminals, connector, or crimper. Also, my bike will be sitting in government storage for about a month to month and a half. Should I take any precautions other than the ones I listed above. Thanks for all the help!

Mike

• Member Contributer

Contact Tightwad, he might have the stuff to get you back going again. Or, if you haven't had the harness recall, they will replace that with the new harness.

The bike had the harness modified by the previous owner. I would assume this voids the harness recall, but it is worth looking in to for sure. Thanks for the tips!

• Member Contributer

I presume this means you haven't had the recall done? All you need to say to the dealership is "this is how I bought it" and never mention the fact that the PO modified the harness. Let them deal with it. wink.gif

I presume this means you haven't had the recall done? All you need to say to the dealership is "this is how I bought it" and never mention the fact that the PO modified the harness. Let them deal with it. wink.gif

+1!!!

Archived