Regulator/rectifier Question

Guest nummy

Guest nummy

Hello everyone -

Does anyone know if a regulator/rectifier from other Honda models will temporarily work in a 1998 VFR 800?

It seems like I'm still having an occasional charging problem because when I connect my Battery Tender after riding, sometimes it shows the battery fully charged in less than 30 minutes - sometimes it takes 4 hours.

I did the electrical test covered on this forum, as well as the diagnostic steps in my shop manual. From my limited background, it appears that it is a regulator / rectifier problem.

I have a pal with a few spare R/Rs sitting on his shelf from a Honda F3/F4. Are they essentially all the same?

The reason why I'm asking is I would like to confirm that my problem is in fact the R/R before I purchase a new replacement. It would be great if I could hook-up a used R/R temporarily just to see if I am able to put voltage back into the battery. It would be a waste if I purchase a new R/R, only to find-out later that the stator is bad.

Can anyone help me with this question?

Thanks for your time !

nummy

Spud786 -

I did all the stuff you mentioned below - I also said what generation it was.

I merely am asking everyone if the R/R from other Honda models can be used temporarily to verify that I have a bad R/R. From what I have determined, it is not a bad stator.

Thanks for the input anyway.

nummy

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th 6th gen ?

6th gen

What voltage were you getting across the battery just above idle , it should be above 14 volt. If you dont see 14 plus volt, under any throttle condition, you have an issue.

Assuming all the electrical connectors have no resistance , if your were getting say no more than 12 plus volt under any throttle condition across the battery. then it rr or stator, 6th gens rr issues are not High failure , and even stators have better longevity than most models.

So I guess where are these simple voltages, your issue may be a case of just a weakening battery. My o6 battery got really weak at 45,000 mile, I couldnt even turn the headlights on for 2 minutes without running and there would be not enough juice to turn the motor over.

just about any, you mentioned will work fine, but the plug will have to be reconfigured, a gsxr 1999-2006 works, a yamahama r6, r1 also works, a gold wing also works, just the plugs and mounts are diff.

most any modern R/R can be made to fit. The older CBR models would be hard because their plug is molded into the R/R, and has larger sized wires on the positive and negative terminals. If you have a picture I can help more.

• Member Contributer
Hello everyone -

Does anyone know if a regulator/rectifier from other Honda models will temporarily work in a 1998 VFR 800?

It seems like I'm still having an occasional charging problem because when I connect my Battery Tender after riding, sometimes it shows the battery fully charged in less than 30 minutes - sometimes it takes 4 hours.

I did the electrical test covered on this forum, as well as the diagnostic steps in my shop manual. From my limited background, it appears that it is a regulator / rectifier problem.

I have a pal with a few spare R/Rs sitting on his shelf from a Honda F3/F4. Are they essentially all the same?

The reason why I'm asking is I would like to confirm that my problem is in fact the R/R before I purchase a new replacement. It would be great if I could hook-up a used R/R temporarily just to see if I am able to put voltage back into the battery. It would be a waste if I purchase a new R/R, only to find-out later that the stator is bad.

Thanks for your time !

nummy

'98 ? -- I'd put money on - it's the R/R anyway. The '98s seem to be the worst year for R/Rs on 5th gens.

MD

• 3 weeks later...

It was in fact the regulator/rectifier.

All is well !

nummy

Hello everyone -

Thanks for your time !

nummy

'98 ? -- I'd put money on - it's the R/R anyway. The '98s seem to be the worst year for R/Rs on 5th gens.

MD

Archived