Worth Saving?

Guest milesbandit

Guest milesbandit

The sad news is that after my trip to WSB Salt Lake, I've decided to sell the VFR because at my advanced and advancing age, the somewhat-forward riding position isn't sustainable anymore. Good news to me is that I bought a 2006 V-Strom 650 for riding comfort and found out it's also a helluva fun ride. So I'm still a few years out from a Goldwing trike.

Problems on the trip to Salt Lake: Speedometer started acting up, just like a bad cable if it had a cable, then died. Then my FI light went on outside of Winnemucca and stayed on. The bike continued to run fine, but it was a nervous 200 miles. Also a little thing with an interrmittant turnsignal.

I've scheduled the jumbo service for it at 50k miles and ordered and paid for a new R/R to be installed. But does this sound like more than $1000 worth of work? Is it probably the speedo itself, or could it be some cheap sending unit or something? How much? What's most likely with the FI light? What's most expensive?

I'm wondering if I should try to sell the bike as-is for a few bucks or fix it all and see what it will bring. I really love this bike and might even end up keeping it, though there's no particular reason I need two bikes.

Any thoughts?

Sorry I can't help with the symptoms you describe. But, have you considered a set of Helibars? They help a lot in raising the riding position. Could give you a reason to keep it.

Sorry I can't help with the symptoms you describe. But, have you considered a set of Helibars? They help a lot in raising the riding position. Could give you a reason to keep it.

Thanks. Put the helibars on when I bought it nine years ago. I'm fine for day rides, but anything over about 250 miles means serious pain.

You need to get the FI trouble code. Most likely it's speed sensor related, IMO.

Cool. So the FI light could be reporting my bad speedometer? Which means I might not have electrical gremlins. So far, resting voltage is about 12.8.

Thanks.

there's no particular reason I need two bikes.

On the contrary. :laugh:

First bike won't start, go to #2.

Loaner bike for a trusted friend.

You won't get that much from selling it, especially in this market.

Every rider needs at least 2 bikes. :goofy: :huh:

there's no particular reason I need two bikes.

On the contrary. :laugh:

First bike won't start, go to #2.

Loaner bike for a trusted friend.

You won't get that much from selling it, especially in this market.

Every rider needs at least 2 bikes. :goofy: :huh:

I generally agree, though if I were going to pick two, I might pick two more different bikes. Say, a Black Shadow and a Pacific Coast.

Plus a scooter.

The VFR may end up staying around for quite awhile. I'm not going to give it away, and it's a buyers market. Plus, the VFR forum is way more fun than Stromtroopers. Good people with good information over there, but they seem a little staid. I don't see a lot of staid around here.

Welcome to MBD. Multiple Bike Disorder. Nobody wants a cure. :laugh:

In fact, I abhor the idea. :goofy:

off topic but You will really grow to love the dl-650 I have had 2 and done over 140,000 on the pair (110,000mi on a '04, and 30k on my current '06), welcome to stromland! (there is no escape) the more ride the little bike that could the more you'll ride the little bike that could.

• Member Contributer
off topic but You will really grow to love the dl-650 I have had 2 and done over 140,000 on the pair (110,000mi on a '04, and 30k on my current '06), welcome to stromland! (there is no escape) the more ride the little bike that could the more you'll ride the little bike that could.
It's likely just the nylon cuff that rides over your front sprocket nut for the speed sensor. $5 part. The sprocket nut gets a bit sharp and rounded and wears out the nylon. The entire sensor unit runs about $56. Good luck with the new ride.

It's likely just the nylon cuff that rides over your front sprocket nut for the speed sensor. $5 part. The sprocket nut gets a bit sharp and rounded and wears out the nylon. The entire sensor unit runs about $56. Good luck with the new ride.

That's very encouraging info. Thanks!

• Member Contributer
Welcome to MBD. Multiple Bike Disorder. Nobody wants a cure. :laugh:

TEE-SHIRT WORTHY!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Miles

I had the same problem with my speedometer on my 2000VFR and was pleasantly surprised to find a "how to" repair instruction on this site (by HS, I think). It is a $cheap part and takes less than 5 minutes to fix.

Bruce

Archived