1995 750's Lights Kill My Clock (video)

Guest sunspark4600

Guest sunspark4600

Hey everyone.

Unfortunatley my first post is a teccie one.

I live in the UK and have just bought myself a 1995 VFR 750 at a handsome price in a handsome condition and have just come back from an entertaining couple of hours of using it for the first time, however my bike has a small fault.

When switching the lights on (not sure if you boys across the pond have them on as standard) the light in the right hand bulb (as you're sat on it) comes on (which I believe is normal), however the light is very dim, barely even a glow & as soon as I flick the switch to turn them on, both dash turn lits come on and stay lit (the indicators themselves don't) also the clock fades and looses power after a second or so.

Switch the lights off and the clock comes back on (reset however) and the dash lights return to normal.

Trying to use hi-beams doesn't make a difference to lights or dash lights (not even the dash high beam light), however using the "pass" trigger/button does allow both death-ray-bright headlights to come on.

I should point out at no time even when it's having this fault is anything else that hasn't been mentioned affected, also when activing an indicator the correct dash light flashes as you would expect.

If anyone would like to see the problem I've YouTubed it

Thanks guys!

First, welcome to VFRD. :blush:

The very dim light your talking of is not the headlight but the position bulb/parking light/city light. Also when looking at the wireing diagram of a UK spec 4th gen, it shows that both headlights should come on, not just one. Both H4 headlights share the same ground and as the high beams come on OK using the pass strigger switch, it looks a bad ground is not the problem. Maybe the problem is in the starter switch. When the switch does not return fully to its normal position when not depressed, the headlights won't come on. I don't know why the indicator lights come on but for now, open the switch cluster on the right clipon and clean the starter switch (spraying some WD40 or silicone spray sometimes helps) and see if that helps.

• Member Contributer

Your switchgear looks like this?

HPIM0207.jpg

Bad focus i know..

The far right position (white dot) is lights off.

The middle one only switches the tiny bulb in the front as V4 Rosso described

HPIM0205.jpg

The switch fully to the left brings on the H4.

In NL, only the right comes on as standard (I had the left one connected too so both come on).

HI beam is indeed with the big switch on the left handlebar or the "overtake"switch

No idea why the indicator lights on the dash come on (while the indicators themselves are not). If the PO had the bike wired to run "cruiser lights" (all indicators on permanently and blinking when the switch is operated) I would expect that.

Good luck!

I'd do the steps V4 descrived in terms of cleaning/sparaying.

Archived