Cheap Pilot Powers?

billyjackjimbob

• Member Contributer

So, I burned up my tires at TMAC and I have just a few threads showing through on the rear. I need new rubber and it must a Pilot. Where do you guys get cheap tires?

Kevin

• Member Contributer
PM wera803. He has a line on lightly used PP's from Kevin Schwantz's RR school in N. Ga.

They're bad luck, though!

Just Kidding!

• Member Contributer

I don't know what the pricing is on the race takeoffs...but the best price I've found for new Michelin street tires is at derbycycles.com

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/i...lin&count=1

If you're in a rush you can call dennis kirk and they will price match the derby cycles price and you'll get them the next day.

• Member Contributer
I don't know what the pricing is on the race takeoffs...but the best price I've found for new Michelin street tires is at derbycycles.com

If you're in a rush you can call dennis kirk and they will price match the derby cycles price and you'll get them the next day.

+1.gif :wub:

+1.gif :wub:

Have to say is I think that's the best price I've seen on PP's.

• Member Contributer

Not only low prices, but fast standard shipping, and they send them in a cardboard box!

• Member Contributer

OK... so the front is a 120 something. Is the second number the angle of attack or something? So, what I'm getting at is do I need the 120/60... 120/65.... or 120/70. And if I can use all three what is the difference? Which one is going to give me the fastest turn in?

Kevin

• Member Contributer

First number is tread width, second number is % of width is the height. Example in car tires:

265/75/16

265mm width

sidewall is 75% of width so sidewall is 198.75mm

16 inch wheel diameter

tire overall diameter is 16" + (198.75mm*2)

IIRC, the VFR is 120/70/17

• Member Contributer
First number is tread width, second number is % of width is the height. Example in car tires:

265/75/16

265mm width

16 inch wheel diameter

Huh? :blink:

• Member Contributer

120/70/17 =

4.72" wide with a 3.31" sidewall which gives a tire that is 4.72" wide and 23.61" tall overall.

120/60/17 would be

4.72" wide with a 2.83" sidewall, so 4.72" wide and 22.67" tall overall.

The diameter of the tire affects overall gear ratio, as well as unsprung weight. Larger tires will also ride "smoother" because it is easier for a larger diameter tire to roll over bumps. Basically, you should stick with stock unless you are well aware of the benefits and the very real drawbacks of changing tire sizes. Usually the people that design a vehicle specified a tire size for a list of good reasons.

• Member Contributer

OK. Just ordered a Road2 rear and a Power front. Under $300 delivered with tax. Feel like I'm getting a pretty good deal. I just hope I like the Road2 rear. But, every rider in my group on Saturday had this combo so it must be as advertised.

Kevin

• Member Contributer

I will vouch for the Pilot Road 2 rear. After running Powers for years, I only plan on buying Pilot Road2 rears until something better comes along (excluding special deals like take offs). The Road2s have 90% of the Power performance with nearly double the tread life.

• Member Contributer

The funniest thing about this whole post.... Derby Cycles is run by a member of another board I am a member of. www.kentucky-sportbikes.com Small world.

Kevin

• Member Contributer

265/75/16

265mm width

16 inch wheel diameter

Basically, the middle number is how tall the tire is. If it was 120/70/17, the tire would be 120 mm wide, 120mm tall (sidewall height), and on a 17" wheel. If it were 120/50/17 it would be 120 mm wide, 60 mm tall, and on a 17 inch wheel.

Think of older cars with taller tires as having the middle number as a 70 or 75. (it's 70% or 75% as tall as it is wide). Cars with bigger wheels and rubber-band low profile tires will have the middle number as a 50 or lower.

We can fit different profile (different middle number) tires onto the wheel, but it drastically changes the shape of the tire, which greatly affects turn-in, and is not recommended.

• Member Contributer

265/75/16

265mm width

16 inch wheel diameter

Basically, the middle number is how tall the tire is. If it was 120/70/17, the tire would be 120 mm wide, 120mm tall (sidewall height), and on a 17" wheel. If it were 120/50/17 it would be 120 mm wide, 60 mm tall, and on a 17 inch wheel.

Think of older cars with taller tires as having the middle number as a 70 or 75. (it's 70% or 75% as tall as it is wide). Cars with bigger wheels and rubber-band low profile tires will have the middle number as a 50 or lower.

We can fit different profile (different middle number) tires onto the wheel, but it drastically changes the shape of the tire, which greatly affects turn-in, and is not recommended.

I should add, that fitting a wider or skinnier (first number) tire on a rim also changes the shape and affects turn in...

Archived