Removing Swingarm On A 93 Vfr750

Guest Zedrx

Guest Zedrx

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the swingarm on my 93 VFR750. I got the rear wheel and brakes off. I removed the pivot bolt and the nut. There seems to be a sleeve still in the pivot. I'm pretty sure I need to remove the "adjusting bolt", but it will not budge. I broke an extension trying to get it out. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Yes, after you remove the 'nut' on the swingarm pivot shaft, the next step is to remove the collar under it, it screws out. You're supposed to use a Honda special tool, but you can make one or improvise if you know what you're doing.

Yes, after you remove the 'nut' on the swingarm pivot shaft, the next step is to remove the collar under it, it screws out. You're supposed to use a Honda special tool, but you can make one or improvise if you know what you're doing.

I used a grade 8 bolt and made my own tool to remove that nut. I used a breaker bar and a pipe and broke the bolt. I tried both directions. Is it normal thread or reverse thread?

Does the bolt you're trying to remove have a castle-shaped locking nut around it?

It did, but I removed the castle nut before trying to remove it. After the castle nut is removed the one below it should come out, right?

Yup. Try dousing with PB Blaster, let it soak for a couple hours.

Remove the castle nut on the other side as well and spray that nut too. Once you loosen one, the other will be really easy to take out.

• 4 years later...

Hey guys, I have a '96 and referenced this thread before removing the swingarm. Perhaps mine is a little different since it's a 4th gen, but here's my little trick.

I removed the bolts from the rear linkage and backed up the nut with a second one so that i could wrench on it. The head fits perfectly in the Allen slot for the spacer. With the swingarm bolt all the way in place it locks into the Allen head on the spacer that needs to be removed. Pics enclosed. Hope it helps.

post-28844-0-30450200-1389994862.jpg

post-28844-0-56525600-1389994893.jpg

post-28844-0-89319000-1389994912.jpg

Archived