Battery Trouble Or Something More?

Chappy8

Appears so, everything looked perfect & practically brand new, just wondering if it'd be worth the time, wasn't sure if there was any additional benefit. electrical work isn't a strong point, surprised how much I learned so far though.

Seems like you're basically good to go. I'm sure that Tightwad's stuff is way better than OEM, and is great for those who don't want to have to think about this stuff. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I've been too chicken to even do the recall since I don't trust the dealer techs, and I really prefer to roll my own fixes for things when I can. So far, so good...

• Member Contributer
YES! It'll save you hassle later on.

But that's just me, Captain Overkill speaking. :schla15:

Seems like you're basically good to go. I'm sure that Tightwad's stuff is way better than OEM, and is great for those who don't want to have to think about this stuff. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I've been too chicken to even do the recall since I don't trust the dealer techs, and I really prefer to roll my own fixes for things when I can. So far, so good...

It's alive! :laugh:

Alright, which one of you is getting commissions from Tightwad? I'm going to check the rainy day coin collection and see what it totals up to. For the rest of the week at least I'm going to enjoy riding to work. Rechecked everything, again, and all is good. Now if it doesn't start in the am, look in the want ads for a smoking deal on an 04 asphalt.

Thanks again to you all. The board once again comes through via it's greatest resource; direct help from the riders which make up this site.

Chappy

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
The VFRness fits into the connector just off the R/R, and makes a T out of it....you should be able to tell if it is installed. Personally I think you have a starter relay issue, not a battery issue, although the battery may have been weak as well.

Back to having issues again. Long story short, bike sat for 2 weeks while travelling for work, decide to go for a ride, lights, fi, clickity clickity, nada. Brand new battery started it right up a month ago...

Anyway to tell if it's just the starter relay or something more? How to test this? Still searching the board.

• Member Contributer

Same issue with my 04. Had recall done last fall @ 33,000 kms and parked it for the winter. Tried to start it last week for first time since wire harness recall, and valve service; and click click click. Replaced the battery, started right away. Took it for a short ride, let it sit for a few minutes, tried to start it again and and it rolled over once, then click click click again. Took battery back to store, they charged it and did voltage test, battery was good to go. Brought it home and started right away, it even started a few times more without leaving it running, and it started every time. Took it for another ride the next day and had to bump start it to get it going again after shutting it off. Now it just barely rolls over and clicks and clicks and clicks. I think I have to return the bike for service. Too much B.S. for my liking. Voltage meter reads over 12 volts, but the bike will not start. Sounds like it is similar to your issue. Let me know if you read any more on it please.

Thanks.

Same issue with my 04. Had recall done last fall @ 33,000 kms and parked it for the winter. Tried to start it last week for first time since wire harness recall, and valve service; and click click click. Replaced the battery, started right away. Took it for a short ride, let it sit for a few minutes, tried to start it again and and it rolled over once, then click click click again. Took battery back to store, they charged it and did voltage test, battery was good to go. Brought it home and started right away, it even started a few times more without leaving it running, and it started every time. Took it for another ride the next day and had to bump start it to get it going again after shutting it off. Now it just barely rolls over and clicks and clicks and clicks. I think I have to return the bike for service. Too much B.S. for my liking. Voltage meter reads over 12 volts, but the bike will not start. Sounds like it is similar to your issue. Let me know if you read any more on it please.

Thanks.

Just becuase the battery reads over 12 volt, doent mean its got any oats, actually, anything below 12.8 volt would be suspect to offer much reserve power or enough to turn the motor over. The top end VFR batteries in good shape will read over 13 volt at still rest, even sitting for a week.

I think either your not charging or you have a short thats draining the battery.

If you charge the battery and bikes starts, its a short or charging issue

• Member Contributer

Thanks.

Did some testing yesterday and it appears the strator would be toast. Could it be anything more, not sure, and at this point, want to know for certain. I'm taking it to the local honda dealer Tuesday to have them run a check. For 40 bucks I figure it's worth it, electrical analysis isn't my strong point in life and the cost is minor if it gets me back on the road quickly. Going on 4+ weeks without riding, and well let's just say I need to get out of the house.

• Member Contributer

Used my snowmobile battery (which has way more cranking amps) today to see if it would start and it fired up right away, but I can't take it for a ride because it does not fit. I am going to try the ST1300 battery as suggested in previous posts. I think I have a crap battery.

Used my snowmobile battery (which has way more cranking amps) today to see if it would start and it fired up right away, but I can't take it for a ride because it does not fit. I am going to try the ST1300 battery as suggested in previous posts. I think I have a crap battery.

Once you put the battery in, what are you getting voltage wise across the battery just above idle, should be over 14 volt if everything is sound.

To save you some money, you might charge existing battery up, and do the test. If your not seeing the 14+ volt at idle or just above, look at the charging circuitry, something is wrong there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This is an interesting thread.

I am now having the same issue. Here's my history: I bought my '04 VFR in '05 from a MA dealer when I lived in MA. The stock battery (ytz12s) worked well up until this past winter (I moved to San Diego 2.5 yrs ago, and now have a LONG riding season.) The battery gave up the ghost about 2-3 months after I got the wiring harness recall performed on the VFR. Battery shot, I managed to score a deal on a ytz14s from the LBS and dropped it in the VFR after leaving it on the BatteryTender for a day or two.

This battery issue happened in about January. Since then, I've had to re-charge the battery about 4 or 5 times.

Fast Forward to this AM. I rode the VFR to work on Thursday (~5 miles to work, but I take the "long" way home to go up/down the coast instead of the fwy, so ~10 miles home.) Bike freshly rode on Thursday, now today being Monday, I shouldn't have a problem right? WRONG. I gear up this morning, go down to the VFR, stick the key in, turn...weak prime. FOOK. hit the starter and it *wants* to turn over, but just not enough juice.

What's going on here? Did Mother Honda turn a bad wiring problem into a worse wiring problem? I had fewer problems with the electrical on this VFR *BEFORE* I had the recall done.

At this point, I'm going to drop the battery on the Tender for a day or two, then bring it to Batteries Plus for a load test to see what's what. Until then, any thoughts from the general public here? I could use some help with this one, as I'm sick of getting the VFR in the morning and not being able to ride because over the weekend my battery died.

Notes, I do not leave anything power-related on and the only mod I have is a Stebel air-horn mounted under the triple-tree that has never caused a problem. It was there before the harness-recall and did nothing to the past battery.

...so...thoughts...? ...suggestions?

Thanks,

VFRnGTP

The recall routes the R/R monitor wire directly to the battery I believe (this could be checked by anyone with a recalled harness bike). The R/R, being a monitoring type, can actually drain back through the R/R if that wire isn't switched. That COULD drain your battery, but it shouldn't be that fast.

I would check the amp draw with the key off, as that should let you know if you have a bad battery, or a higher than allowed draw. Amp draw is easy, disconnect the negative cable, and with your Digital Volt Meter set to 10 amp max (move the positive lead), and measuring AMPS, connect one lead to the battery and one to the battery cable.

On my '02 w/ the recall wiring routes the monitor wire to the output of the R/R which then runs through a couple connector to the main fuse and to the battery. Anyway I have not had any such issues with recall wiring done. So you have something else going on. Either something is draining the battery or the new battery was bad.

Archived