Coil Location On 4th Gen W/ 929 Rear Shock?

tdchonda1

Question

• Member Contributer

Well, I some help. We will just stat with my bike... :lurk:

I am putting on a 929 rear shock that has been modded by Daughertymotorsports. Well I have seen a few pictures of people putting the coils in the stock location, BUT..... The shock has been modded (adding spacer at the TOP not at the BOTTOM where DM does). The problem with the shock having spacer at bottom and not top, there is less room due to the shock reservoir is closer to the top (guessing about 2 - 3 inches).

I was just wanting to see if anyone has had this problem, or if I am just over looking something simple.

Here is a picture of the 929 shock with new spring and DM mod. I think it looks great!

gallery_15375_4187_235283.jpg

Picture 104.jpg

gallery_15375_4187_64051.jpg

Picture 103.jpg

Travis.

13 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

As pictured, the spacer is on the wrong end. With it on top, you should have room for the coils.

Here's a link to "the prototype" back in 2002:

43861141nTsNuL_th.jpg

and this one shows everything back in the stock location except the tank bolt:

43861084iCaRbs_th.jpg

• Member Contributer
As pictured, the spacer is on the wrong end. With it on top, you should have room for the coils.

Here's a link to "the prototype" back in 2002:

43861141nTsNuL_th.jpg

and this one shows everything back in the stock location except the tank bolt:

43861084iCaRbs_th.jpg

Thanks, but I can NOT do that (just put spacer on bottom). The bottom of the shock has been milled so the spacer will fit in stock shock linkage location. I will look into it some more (I should have time tonight)

• Member Contributer

Try facing the reservoir forward. I am going to do the same set up and I am curious to see if that would work. the rebound/compression adjustments will be facing the right side, but with a long flat head screwdriver you should still be able to adjust them. Unless your riding track a lot I don't think it will be a problem. I rarely mess with those adjustments, I normally just "set it and forget it!" I am thinking since the 929 shock uses a spanner for preload you will be able to still adjust that from the left side. Good luck! I will be watching this thread closely.

• Member Contributer
Try facing the reservoir forward. I am going to do the same set up and I am curious to see if that would work. the rebound/compression adjustments will be facing the right side, but with a long flat head screwdriver you should still be able to adjust them. Unless your riding track a lot I don't think it will be a problem. I rarely mess with those adjustments, I normally just "set it and forget it!" I am thinking since the 929 shock uses a spanner for preload you will be able to still adjust that from the left side. Good luck! I will be watching this thread closely.

Thank you for your suggestion ,but first I want to see if I can just move some things around. And its no track bike, just fun.

And yes I will keep you posted and I will take some pictures, I will try to help any way I can.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for your suggestion ,but first I want to see if I can just move some things around. And its no track bike, just fun.

And yes I will keep you posted and I will take some pictures, I will try to help any way I can.

Cool Thanks Travis! I know you would rather move stuff around and possible have to trim the battery box. But for S&G while you are in there, can you see if there is enough room to face it forward? I would be greatly appreciative if you could do that for me. I DO NOT want to move or cut the heat shield up to free up room. I also don't have the emmission tubes that are bolted over the headers so please note this while you are eyeballing it. Thanks Brotha and good luck!

• Member Contributer

I don't get it. Why is the spacer on the bottom?

As I remember it, reversing the reservoir location 180 degrees will put the compression adjuster out of reach.

• Member Contributer
I don't get it. Why is the spacer on the bottom?

As I remember it, reversing the reservoir location 180 degrees will put the compression adjuster out of reach.

I don't know why the spacer is at the bottom. I just sent it to Daugherty Motorsports and he did his magic. Maybe Jamie (jamieDaugherty on here) will chime in and give us the reason. For what ever reason I think it looks top notch. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Well I figured it out. (Well it works for me) and I think it looks really cool.

I did have to trim the battery heat shield and re-rout some wires. I took the best pictures I could.

Sorry Flip998, I didn't really look to see if it can be flipped around. But as you can see by pictures I didn't have to trim much off heat shield to get it to fit. I just painted it black because when i didn't want it to rust + I think it looks better.

gallery_15375_4187_554319.jpg

Picture 001.jpg had to trim heat shield to make fit with 929 shock.

gallery_15375_4187_323468.jpg

Picture 002.jpg had to trim heat shield to make fit with 929 shock.

gallery_15375_4187_2832.jpg

coil mod.JPG did a few mods because I installed 929 rear shock and coils were hitting top of shock. Plus I think it looks cool!

gallery_15375_4187_190545.jpg

coil mod top.JPG did a few mods because I installed 929 rear shock and coils were hitting top of shock. Plus I think it looks cool!

Hope this might help someone out.

Travis

• Member Contributer

No worries Travis....looks very nice. May have to copy what you did when I get Jamie to do my shock. Take it easy and let us know how she feels when you get a ride.

what about pics of the upper and lower adjustment screw with it installed? Did you also see the forum about 929 on a 4th gen install? Showed coil mounted on side as well.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting up your results Travis. I like modifying the shock itself because I have concerns about the structural integrity of the upper spacers that I have seen. The rule I follow is that if I wouldn't put it on my own bike then I wouldn't do it for anyone else either. I've done several of these shocks for the 4th gens and the feedback I've gotten has mostly been 'it fit ok'. I believe some people have turned the reservoir so that it's forward of the shock. I'm not sure if this helps or not, but it's worth looking into.

I appreciate Travis taking the time to get some detailed pictures and descriptions of what he did!

• Member Contributer
what about pics of the upper and lower adjustment screw with it installed? Did you also see the forum about 929 on a 4th gen install? Showed coil mounted on side as well.

SLO97VFR.

YES I did see the link to the 929 on a 4th gen install, But that install was with the shock having the spacer on the TOP of the shock. And with the spacer on top it gives you about 1 to 2 inches more room. (DM mods the bottom of the shock, that I have and looks killer). And with my mod, it moves the coils down to the side of the battery box. It all fits great I just needed to re-rout some wires and I like doing little things that make a difference but not reinvent it. I like to keep things very CLEAN looking.

I will post some pictures of the adjusting screw ASAP.

Travis

• Member Contributer

Well here are some pictures that show how easy it will be to adjust compression and rebound on a 929 rear shock that has been modified by DM (spacer at bottom of shock, looks and fits great)

gallery_15375_4500_705320.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

gallery_15375_4500_622206.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

I hope this helps. If anyone needs more help just let me know.

Travis

Archived