Led Brake Lights

landlover

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi, is it possible to put LED brake lights on the VFR but use the factory housing, meaning insert the LED lights right through the factory hole where the bulb goes through? If its possible does anyone have any pictures showing the difference in brightness between the two?

7 answers to this question

Hi, is it possible to put LED brake lights on the VFR but use the factory housing, meaning insert the LED lights right through the factory hole where the bulb goes through? If its possible does anyone have any pictures showing the difference in brightness between the two?

It's no problem as long as you order the same type of terminal of the bulb. (7443)

Also, remember to use red ones, white behind the red lens will actually reduce/washout the red color.

Since the inner reflector and lens lines are for incandescent bulb focus etc. it's best to choose an led that not only throws light back, but also sideways as well.

An example of what I chose....

7443_mt_r_wm.jpg

7443_48led_smt_r_wm.jpg

Greg :biggrin:

Greg

Do you have any pictures of your lights with the LED bulbs installed? Would love to see it. I have been thinking of doing the same thing, but am hesitant till I see it for myself.

LED lights are generally a light source with a very narrow and focused light stream. THey are not designed to be used in lamp housings that were designed to be filled with incandescent light sources.

I've been selling LED lamps for about 13 years in the truck industry - and this question comes up a lot.

If you do go to an LED replacement - like Veefermadness says - get one that has the LED's populated in as many directions as you can - and make sure you check the output in day and night conditions.

I know for example on CBAR's 3rd gen - I rode behind him one day and couldn't see his brake lights that well. I asked him if he had problems - and it turned out he had replaced the stockers for LED drop ins. I believe he changed them out after that.

From all the LED options I have seen...to include those expensive brake light, running light, and turn signal combos......they are not as bright as the dino lights. I would recommend just buying some police style led's and being creative with their mounting...they surely get someone's attention. On the 5th gen the rear reflector (just below the brakelamp assembly) is a perfect location.

I would only use a high quality LED from Whelen, 911EP, Code 3 etc. Good luck......FWIW. I use the 911Ep LED STARS in mine with dino lights in the dino spots. I am having a local guy that does police lighting custom make me some LED's for my E52 topcase. (He uses Whelen). I just don't think the private LED companies make anything that compares. And I am referring to hyperlites, the admore led kit and others.

Check out Webbike worlds 2 cents on LED options!!

Archived