5th/6th Gen Clutch & Front Brake Lever Assembly's On 4th Gen?

tdchonda1

Question

• Member Contributer

Will a clutch & front brake lever assembly from a 5th or 6th gen work on a 4th gen? I didn't know if the valving might be different in front brake master cylinder? or if the brake and clutch lines will match up the same?

The reason I'm asking is I just want BLACK clutch & front brake lever assembly's. I might be wrong, but I think most 5th & 6th gen clutch & front brake lever assembly's are black.? but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Travis

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
Will a clutch & front brake lever assembly from a 5th or 6th gen work on a 4th gen? I didn't know if the valving might be different in front brake master cylinder? or if the brake and clutch lines will match up the same?

4th and 5th-gen front brake master cylinders are both 1/2", and I'm pretty sure the clutch m/cs are also the same, so you're probably good to go. 6th-gen brake masters are larger (14mm).

Ciao,

informations I found on the web are that '98-99 and '00-01 5th gen have different clutch m/c, and clutch discs quantity too

I think that '98-99 have 14mm bore m/c and from '00 12.5mm, that gives softer (but with more trail) lever action, BUT I'd like to have sure infos: changing my brake master cylinder with a Cbr 929 one (massive 19mm assial piston), I'd like to be sure in measurements to choose the right clutch master cylinder with separate reservoir to have a soft lever :biggrin: (probably the next disc change I'll put stronger clutch springs :beer: )

brake m/c bore is 1/2 inch (12.5mm) on 5th gen and 14mm on 6th gen (same as many Cbr 600 and newer Vtr 1000 f)

p.s. I want put the Cbr 929 m/c to match with my '97 Cbr 900 front calipers... not sure about feeling, but OEM is really TOO soft

• Member Contributer
informations I found on the web are that '98-99 and '00-01 5th gen have different clutch m/c, and clutch discs quantity too

I think that '98-99 have 14mm bore m/c and from '00 12.5mm, that gives softer (but with more trail) lever action, BUT I'd like to have sure infos: changing my brake master cylinder with a Cbr 929 one (massive 19mm assial piston), I'd like to be sure in measurements to choose the right clutch master cylinder with separate reservoir to have a soft lever :goofy: (probably the next disc change I'll put stronger clutch springs :cool: )

brake m/c bore is 1/2 inch (12.5mm) on 5th gen and 14mm on 6th gen (same as many Cbr 600 and newer Vtr 1000 f)

p.s. I want put the Cbr 929 m/c to match with my '97 Cbr 900 front calipers... not sure about feeling, but OEM is really TOO soft

Ciao vufero,

One way to determine similar m/c sizes across models (without looking at the bikes themselves) is to compare the Honda part numbers for the piston rebuild kits, as the ones with the same diameters seem to have the same part numbers. I doubt this changed during the 5th-gen, but I haven't checked each of the four years.

Going from 14mm to 19mm would be a huge increase, which would decrease lever travel and power, but would result in greatly enhanced "feel". Maybe too much feel! NISSIN made master cylinders for Honda in at least five different sizes (marked 1/2", 14mm, 5/8", 11/16" and 3/4"), with the largest ones being found only on the 929 and the SP-1. Not being a racer, I would only use the master cylinder Honda chose to work with a particular set of calipers (many of which look the same, but have different sized pistons).

I don't think clutch master cylinder sizes are very critical, as they are usually just used to move the slave piston fully "in" or fully "out". And there aren't as many choices in clutch master cylinders, either, as most of the more "sports" bikes have cable clutches. In fact, I can't think of any modern Honda sport bike with a remote-reservoir hydraulic clutch (but I also haven't really been looking for any).

Ciao,

I think that '98-99 have 14mm bore m/c and from '00 12.5mm, that gives softer (but with more trail) lever action, BUT I'd like to have sure infos: changing my brake master cylinder with a Cbr 929 one (massive 19mm assial piston), I'd like to be sure in measurements to choose the right clutch master cylinder with separate reservoir to have a soft lever :goofy: (probably the next disc change I'll put stronger clutch springs :biggrin: )

Ciao vufero,

One way to determine similar m/c sizes across models (without looking at the bikes themselves) is to compare the Honda part numbers for the piston rebuild kits, as the ones with the same diameters seem to have the same part numbers. I doubt this changed during the 5th-gen, but I haven't checked each of the four years.

Going from 14mm to 19mm would be a huge increase, which would decrease lever travel and power, but would result in greatly enhanced "feel". Maybe too much feel! NISSIN made master cylinders for Honda in at least five different sizes (marked 1/2", 14mm, 5/8", 11/16" and 3/4"), with the largest ones being found only on the 929 and the SP-1. Not being a racer, I would only use the master cylinder Honda chose to work with a particular set of calipers (many of which look the same, but have different sized pistons).

I don't think clutch master cylinder sizes are very critical, as they are usually just used to move the slave piston fully "in" or fully "out". And there aren't as many choices in clutch master cylinders, either, as most of the more "sports" bikes have cable clutches. In fact, I can't think of any modern Honda sport bike with a remote-reservoir hydraulic clutch (but I also haven't really been looking for any).

Ciao,

i would definately try to get the same size piston in the clutch unit too, since if u go too big you *may* push the piston out of the bore. not likely, i know, but something to consider. when people with fiero's switch to hydraulic throwout bearing transmissions, they have this very problem.

I think that '98-99 have 14mm bore m/c and from '00 12.5mm, that gives softer (but with more trail) lever action, BUT I'd like to have sure infos: changing my brake master cylinder with a Cbr 929 one (massive 19mm assial piston), I'd like to be sure in measurements to choose the right clutch master cylinder with separate reservoir to have a soft lever :blink: (probably the next disc change I'll put stronger clutch springs :excl: )

Ciao vufero,

Ciao,

ciao JZH

here you give us some very good point

I did a search on ronayers site and actually on 5th gens they list TWO kinds of clutch master cylinder and pistons

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module...MASTER_CYLINDER

differently from 6th gens m/c, where they list just one type

even more confused :goofy:

unfortunately the other site I sometimes use for references ( http://www.cmsnl.com/searchparts.php ) is actually down... I'll try again later

for my brake pump choice... it was a bargain, and I'll have to try it, not sure if '96-97 CBR 900 had 14mm or 5/8 pistons (I'm prone to think 5/8), but I guarantee that OEM 5th generation master cylinder with those Cbr pads is absolutely lean

I hope that all will match in the right way (EBC HH pads and Prolite rotors with the 929 m/c), I'm just looking for a shorter lever travel :biggrin:

p.s. for clutch piston sizes, I know there are 1/2, 14mm and 5/8, ie. http://www.ringjunkies.co.uk/Nissin.htm

actually I'm looking for an 1/2 sized, looking for softness in that side :happy: (probably in the next clutch maintenance, I'll put stronger spings, due to some little slippage on high rpm's gear changes)

fireblades use hydraulic m/c from 2000 (929) to 2007, absolutely don't know sizes :blush:

yes, found the confirmation about clutch master cylinders size

here 5th generation 'till '99 http://www.cmsnl.com/products/piston-set-clutch_22886mb0305/

and here from '00 http://www.cmsnl.com/products/piston-set-master_22886mate01/

that site is a little annoying to browse, but very very useful in results :biggrin:

actually '98-99 and '00-01 differs in clutch disc and construction too

• Member Contributer
I did a search on ronayers site and actually on 5th gens they list TWO kinds of clutch master cylinder and pistons

Ron Ayers site is useful, but they do not handle superceded parts very well. Sometimes when you click on one of the two part numbers shown, it then indicates that the part number has been replaced by a new one. Other times (like this one!) there is no explanation at all, so you don't know which one to order. I think this may have to do with parts that were changed mid-year, usually differentiated by engine or frame number in the Honda Parts Catalogue. For some reason this information did not make it onto Ron Ayers' online version.

Thanks for the info about hydraulic clutches. I usually am only interested in brakes.

Speaking of which, the 1997 CBR900RRV has a 14mm brake master cylinder piston--just checked it on CMSNL against some "known" master cylinders.

Ciao,

Speaking of which, the 1997 CBR900RRV has a 14mm brake master cylinder piston--just checked it on CMSNL against some "known" master cylinders.

Ciao,

:biggrin: thank you for the info

:491: I strongly hope that 929's will work fine for my taste

p.s. for clutch piston sizes, I know there are 1/2, 14mm and 5/8, ie. http://www.ringjunkies.co.uk/Nissin.htm

actually I'm looking for an 1/2 sized, looking for softness in that side :happy: (probably in the next clutch maintenance, I'll put stronger spings, due to some little slippage on high rpm's gear changes)

fireblades use hydraulic m/c from 2000 (929) to 2007, absolutely don't know sizes :blush:

sorry, I did a mistake :happy:

CBRs start to use hydraulic clutches from '04 to '07

to be forgived I can share a new useful link :cool: http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/

they give ALL piston (masters, slaves and calipers) sizes :fing02: (and probably other interesting things)

• Member Contributer

Well I did some digging around and found that a 98 VFR Clutch lever assembly will work and CBR F3 Ft brake assembly will work. Thanks for all your help. Now I will just need to find a good deal on a set.

Archived