How To Find The Best Helmet Fit

Tightwad

Ok, I have been riding for 16 years now, and I have always been limited in choice of helmet to what I could afford...just as I have been limited in choice of bike. I ride for utilitarian purposes, as well as for pleasure. Nothing has changed in that regard...I buy DOT approved helmets from brands that are common, but I have never spent over $125 for a helmet....

The question i have is....How do I know what my head shape is? Besides huge I mean, as I typically wear an XL helmet (7 5/8 hat size). I think my current HJC helmet is not the right shape...I find I see a lot of my chin bar, and my chin is below the bottom of the helmet a bit. If I had unlimited spending cash (I don't) what models would I look at for what head shape?

Big Head

High Forehead

Eyes slightly above nose, hair getting farther away

Face even my Mother cringes at

Ok, I have been riding for 16 years now, and I have always been limited in choice of helmet to what I could afford...just as I have been limited in choice of bike. I ride for utilitarian purposes, as well as for pleasure. Nothing has changed in that regard...I buy DOT approved helmets from brands that are common, but I have never spent over $125 for a helmet....

The question i have is....How do I know what my head shape is? Besides huge I mean, as I typically wear an XL helmet (7 5/8 hat size). I think my current HJC helmet is not the right shape...I find I see a lot of my chin bar, and my chin is below the bottom of the helmet a bit. If I had unlimited spending cash (I don't) what models would I look at for what head shape?

Big Head

High Forehead

Eyes slightly above nose, hair getting farther away

Face even my Mother cringes at

When I was in the Navy/Air Force I fitted Helmets to fighter pilots.........The first thing you need to do is Don't buy a helmet on the web site (until you've gone to a shop and tried on the model you want)........Now for the fit .... Start the fit by putting the helmet on properly (1) No more than 1½ to 2 fingers above your eyebroughs ( that should cure the chin thing/sounds like you had it to high). (2) pull the chin strap tight(should be able to get a finger inbetween it and your throat)the strap should rest just forward of your adams apple(ladys windpipe) (3) With all this done try to pull the helmet off forward,or backward,it shouldn't move more than knats hair. (4) Now push on the side there shouldn't be any play (5) Try to twist the helmet side to side,Shouldn't move (6) Now that you have one that fits leave it on for about a half hour and walk around and look at all the goody's in the shop (7) Without taking it off try to think about...IF/and WHERE....your head hurts (we call Hot Spots).If the front of your head hurts (Forehead usually about 3 / 4 fingers up from eyebroughs)You need a long helmet....If the side hurts you need a round one..........Good luck......Monk

• Member Contributer

There are lots of guides out there for helmet fit, most of the helmet manufacturer's will have guides on their web sites.

Nothing beats going into a store and trying on as many helmets as you can.

This is why a lot of people are soooo loyal to particular brands and even models of helmets as once you find one that fits and feels good most people are resistant to go through the hassle of trying to find another one that fits.

i have a huge head that shapes like a busted up papaya! i must've tried on 50 different helmets. I ended up with a KBC VR2. it fits pretty good, except when a good gust of wind hits directly at my face when i'm going fast, the chin bar gets pushed closer to my mouth.

to answer your question, just find the biggest dealer in your area and go try on all of them. If another dealer has a different brand, go there and try those on too.

Web Bikeworld has a good amount of helmet reviews (LINK) If you look near the bottom of the page you'll see a link for helmet size chart. That link also has some options for people with larger heads. Some of the higher end helmets also come in different shapes so I would check their web sites. I have what the manufactures call "a long oval" shaped head and the Shark RSR2 series fit me well.

Action

most helmets these days have removable cheek pads that come in different thicknesses. When you initially try on the helmet, take the cheek pads out and fit the helmet for the crown of your head. Feel for pressure points. Remember that the helmet will loosen up a little after it is broken in so you want to make extra sure it is a little on the too snug side when you try it on. Once you've found a helmet that fits the crown of your head comfortably, then you can start messing around with the different thicknesses of cheekpads to achieve the overall fit that you want. I have a very large nogin 7 3/4 - 7 7/8 hat size and I wear a XL Shoei RF-1000 FWIW

Oh yeah, I'd recommend going to Cycle Gear and talking to one of their gear experts (the guys that wear the black shirts rather than the blue) and have them help you fit the helmet. They carry several different brands there so you can get a feel for a number of different helmets...

As others have stated you must go to a store and try on helmets. Don't buy online or mail order as you can't try them on and if you do try on at a store and then order the same make/model online you are conrtibuting to the demise of your local store and when he goes out of business then where are you going to go to try on your next helmet ?

As others have stated you must go to a store and try on helmets. Don't buy online or mail order as you can't try them on and if you do try on at a store and then order the same make/model online you are conrtibuting to the demise of your local store and when he goes out of business then where are you going to go to try on your next helmet ?

Good point.....I myself don't buy helmets/boots/ , anything that should be fitted on line.....Of course living in this po-dunk area (shopping wise at least) it's hard not to rely on the web........... Monk

Wow, great advice! Next time I get a long lunch I will head to a couple of the bike shops/dealers. I always feel weird putting on their helmets and walking around....but that seems like a good idea.

• Member Contributer
Oh yeah, I'd recommend going to Cycle Gear and talking to one of their gear experts (the guys that wear the black shirts rather than the blue) and have them help you fit the helmet. They carry several different brands there so you can get a feel for a number of different helmets...

Cycle Gear also has an unlimited 7 day guarantee on the fit so you can really try a hat out for a time in real riding situations. The deal is only good for an exchange though.

Archived