Rear Shock Remote Adjuster, Is It Working Right?

Bad Boy

I recently aquired a low mileage 6th gen. ABS rear shock to replace my 75k mile non ABS shock. It is not installed yet. The adjustment knob turns 6 clicks with no resistance before it starts to move the spring. Is it supposed to do that? Is this shock useable? Do I need to add more fluid to the adjustment system? How would I do that?

For those of you that have ABS does your preload adjuster have free play at the the lower end of the settings? For how many clicks is there no resistance?

This one turns with no resistance for 6 clicks then there is resistance as the spring starts moving.

yep , that's normal.

The question is how much does it compress the spring after contact?

Spring compresses up to 9/64" or 9 mm

Is that correct or enough?

Thanks

Edit, actually closer to 3/8" or 9 mm

• Member Contributer

ISTR reading online somewhere how to re-fill those adjusters with hydraulic fluid--but it may not have been on a VFR forum, because a lot of different Hondas used that kind of adjuster. Not as easy as if there was a filler hole, but do-able with disassembly. 9mm doesn't sound like a lot, but it sounds right...

Ciao,

yep , that's normal.

The question is how much does it compress the spring after contact?

Spring compresses up to 9/64" or 9 mm

Is that correct or enough?

Thanks

I would think it would be 1/2" or 12mm+, but I don't know what the actual stroke is.

I learned how to and then fixed it. I Googled "refill preload adjuster" and found this:

http://members.cox.net/slartidbartfast/bmw...l/shock-oil.htm

I followed the directions and it actually worked. I reduced free play from 6.5 clicks to 2.5 clicks which increased spring adjustment from 9 mm to 10 mm. So I am happy with this and will next swap it with my old 75k mile shock.

Archived