Throttlemeister?

i_needit

Question

15 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I have the standard one and it works fine for me. I have never had any grip vibration, so it didn't change anything there. I also put on Dual-Star grip warmers at the same time and all is compatible.

I had the standard. In fact I've had 2 standards on the 1 bike. And lost them over the years sad.gif. So I've got a spare complete lhs and the innards of 2 rhs for the 5th gen if anyone wants to pay postage...

Standard, flat black. The heavy just looked like they would stick out too far and I didn't want my bars looking like a ST1300. Also installed some Grip Puppies and they make the bar and throttlemeister diameters match up perfectly.

• Member Contributer
Standard Unit or Heavy Unit, any opininons is one better than the other?

Thanks

Not to steal your post but do these compare to the Salamander units? I plan on going with them because they are $30.00 cheaper and I'll be buying two sets. Good luck! JD

I have the "vista cruise throttle lock". It's pretty cool because I can operate my throttle, even with it on. Makes me feel better if there is an "emergency" situation. $24 insn't too bad either.

Just an idea!

• Member Contributer
I have the "vista cruise throttle lock". It's pretty cool because I can operate my throttle, even with it on. Makes me feel better if there is an "emergency" situation. $24 insn't too bad either.

Just an idea!

I looked at these while I was in my local Cycle Gear. I have read these need to be modified to work properly. Did you have any issues? $24.00 sounds great!

• Member Contributer

Just an idea!

I looked at these while I was in my local Cycle Gear. I have read these need to be modified to work properly. Did you have any issues? $24.00 sounds great!

I bought a Vista Cruise, but could not get it to work without modding my throttle tube. I didn't feel like doing that, so I returned it. I think a NEP would work without mods, but haven't tired. I ended up buying the Throttlemeister in the brushed stainless light. Works pretty good and looks basically stock.

The previous owner actually had the dealer do it for him. It cost him a whopping $17.80 to have it installed.

Found this online:

"Next, open out the VC and put it into place. You will find you need to file down the inner surface of the VC so that it slots neatly in place. You will also need to file away the tag that fits between the two throttle cables. Don't overdo that - you want a snug fit. Finally, fit the plastic washer between the VC and the rubber grip."

http://www.manhoc.co.uk/vista_cruise.htm

Doesn't seem too bad, and the price difference seems worth it to me. I like my vista cruise :fing02:

I especially like how I can turn the throttle even with the lock on. You can also adjust the friction on the lock to make it harder or easier to turn.

Mudddawg: I noticed that you have a 5th gen and I have a 6th gen. I wonder if install is easier on a 6th?

• Member Contributer

My 94 VFR had "standards" (no heavy back then)

My 06 VFR has "heavies"

I like them both. Ordered the "heavies" for the '06 because I wanted to try something "new".

Go with your gut. They're just billets ;-)

• Member Contributer
Mudddawg: I noticed that you have a 5th gen and I have a 6th gen. I wonder if install is easier on a 6th?

Not sure. The problem I had was with the VC mounted up. The throttle would not move freely even when it was in "free wheel" mode. If you peel back the grip on the throttle there is a rib on the tube. I could of ground that off and there would of been enough room for it to work. I did not feel like doing that and wanted the bike to looks stock.

Edit.. I just looked at the pictures.. doh.. yea the the space between the rib and throttle tube assembly was tight and could not get the throttle to go to idle very easily. Seemed like it would be dangerous. now that I think about it . I probably would of been fine, just wouldn't let me wack the throttle open when i wanted to. T-Ms do take some practice to make work. the V-C would be easier.

Here, figured I post some pics of it on my bike. Looks pretty stock in person. I didn't notice it until I sat on the bike.

gallery_15989_4427_117327.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

gallery_15989_4427_32034.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

gallery_15989_4427_133364.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I've got the standard black on my 03, going to get the polished stainless for the RWB, saw one with them and it was sweet, nice clean look, I love how they work even for the extra bucks.

Archived