New Spring For An Aftermarket Shock?

elizilla

• Member Contributer

If I have an aftermarket shock, can I get it resprung by any suspension vendor? Maybe one of those companies that comes out to track days? Or do I have to get a spring from the company that made the shock? It's a Wilbers, and they've had a major falling out with their USA distributor - I don't know if they even have a USA distributor now. But if I can get it resprung locally, I'd just as soon do that.

If it uses a standard 6" spring, you should have no trouble finding a replacement and getting it swapped. Anyone with a spring/shock compressor can do the swap for you. I had an indie Harley shop change my spring on my Ohlins once!

If I have an aftermarket shock, can I get it resprung by any suspension vendor? Maybe one of those companies that comes out to track days? Or do I have to get a spring from the company that made the shock? It's a Wilbers, and they've had a major falling out with their USA distributor - I don't know if they even have a USA distributor now. But if I can get it resprung locally, I'd just as soon do that.

Yes, Klaus is not selling Wilbers in USA anymore but he is still servicing them. He's a great guy. hth, Dad

http://www.wilbersusa.com/

Measure the length and width of the spring you need and these people can get it for you. I purchased springs from them a few times and I haven't found any one who sells them cheaper.

http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp

Most aftermarket shocks (except Ohlins) are easy for DIY spring changes. Usually all you have to do is unscrew the preload nut all the way and then lift up the lower spring seat. Then remove the snap ring that is under the seat and the sping and seat will come right off.

• Member Contributer
I can hook you up with pretty much any spring you'd need. Just let me know if I can help!

Fort Wayne IN - you're as local as anyone suggested so far. I'm just west of Detroit. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks everyone!

• Member Contributer
Measure the length and width of the spring you need and these people can get it for you. I purchased springs from them a few times and I haven't found any one who sells them cheaper.

http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp

Most aftermarket shocks (except Ohlins) are easy for DIY spring changes. Usually all you have to do is unscrew the preload nut all the way and then lift up the lower spring seat. Then remove the snap ring that is under the seat and the sping and seat will come right off.

Those prices are pretty decent. I can sell any of those rates (Ø2.25ID x 6"L) for $80 including shipping. That's saving a couple of bucks, just in case anyone is interested. Normally I charge $85, so that's a small savings for a VFRD member!

Archived