Pit Bull Vfr Rear Stand Question(s)

Guest LordDimwitFlathead

Guest LordDimwitFlathead

Does anyone know if the SSS pit bull rear stand for the VFR is reversible? It doesn't seem to be (for the VFR anyway), but I didn't know if it was just sloppy web design. Also, does it have a thru-bolt design?

Barring that, I think I'll just get the T-Rex since it seems to have an axle holder, center rear stop rod, thru-bolt, can be had in the same color scheme (d'oh!), and is around $35 cheaper. It isn't one-piece welded construction, but oh well. I really did want to support pit bull after everything I've read on various forums, though.

As an aside, I also mentally dismissed the LP USA "S4" stand (looks cool though), the Harris (doesn't come with default VFR-type pin and price alone, ouch!), the Handy stand (for no real reason), the red E-bay stand (BikeTek), and Powerstands Mario (since they appear to be anti-trust jerks).

Does anyone know if the SSS pit bull rear stand for the VFR is reversible? It doesn't seem to be (for the VFR anyway), but I didn't know if it was just sloppy web design. Also, does it have a thru-bolt design?

Barring that, I think I'll just get the T-Rex since it seems to have an axle holder, center rear stop rod, thru-bolt, can be had in the same color scheme (d'oh!), and is around $35 cheaper. It isn't one-piece welded construction, but oh well. I really did want to support pit bull after everything I've read on various forums, though.

As an aside, I also mentally dismissed the LP USA "S4" stand (looks cool though), the Harris (doesn't come with default VFR-type pin and price alone, ouch!), the Handy stand (for no real reason), the red E-bay stand (BikeTek), and Powerstands Mario (since they appear to be anti-trust jerks).

I don't think it is... I have one and it doesn't look like it. I am not in town right now, but will look Monday night when I get back and post up (if nobody else does.)

• Member Contributer

It is not reversible, but they sell regular and front lift versions. Unless it is a track bike without a side stand (which the VFR is a poor choice for anyway), I don't really see much advantage to a front lift rear stand. I think they are a bit less stable and you lose the ability to move the bike around when it is on the stand.

It does not have a bolt that goes through the axle. I have used mine a lot, and it has never been an issue, even when running the engine in gear when on the stand.

If the price difference between Pitbull and TRex is only $35, get the Pitbull.

• Member Contributer

Call Pit Bull and ask them??

IMO they have the best and lightest stands out there!

Good luck!

It is not reversible, but they sell regular and front lift versions. Unless it is a track bike without a side stand (which the VFR is a poor choice for anyway), I don't really see much advantage to a front lift rear stand. I think they are a bit less stable and you lose the ability to move the bike around when it is on the stand.

It does not have a bolt that goes through the axle. I have used mine a lot, and it has never been an issue, even when running the engine in gear when on the stand.

If the price difference between Pitbull and TRex is only $35, get the Pitbull.

Well, more than a "front lift rear stand" it is a "right-side lift stand", making it practical for sprocket removals, etc. The T-Rex also has a through bolt, but as you mentioned, probably is not needed but is just an extra precautionary measure. T-Rex also has a wheel stop rod, but I guess it is not technically needed either if you just put the bike in gear to keep the wheel from moving. It seems handy though as I always had it ingrained in me to torque lug nuts while the wheel is off the ground, so it is not affected by the vehicle's weight. Finally, the T-Rex also has an axle-pin holder to keep it all intact. I don't know, it seems like I'm giving up an awful lot of conveniences for the pit bull, including a price savings. I know the role and reputation pit bull has had in the racing community and I respect them for that, but it seems even if the pit bull was priced the same, I'd still go with the T-Rex. Again, only for the extra "amenities", unless I'm missing something else with the pit bull? It seems they do make a SSS stand that is reversible, just not for the VFR.

Powerstands Mario is also a great looking piece with an all flat-black color, extra-long handle (with landing pad) that turns in when bike is off the ground, and is reversible. Hmm... But I read about how they stole pit bull's design (although not this particular stand, just one of the fronts I think, or the wheel tree, not sure). Plus they seem to be priced around $180! D'oh!

Also, what's up with Harris and the $400 stand? LOL

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Why do you need to use a stand to remove the sprocket?

I have no formal technical training at all, so I always torque the lug nuts while the bike is on the ground in gear. :huh:

I was never clear on why they sold the "reversible" stands. I guess front lift would be much easier in track paddock applications. I always (apparently incorrectly) assumed it was for space saving. Not having the lever sticking way out behind the bike... :lurk:

I have a (I believe) LP rear stand and its awful. No leverage at all to lift the bike. If I actually use the thing, I have to put the bike on the center stand to get the rear off the ground, then stick the stand in and stand myself on the bar. I guess I could throw it away, but that seems like an effort...

I have a Pit Bull stand for conventional swingarms, and I love it! Originally I got the convertible one to lift with or without spools. Now my RC51 has the Giles dealies in there, so all I needed was to order the stand mounted spools to fit the Giles slots. I have the Pit Bull convertible front to lift from the forks or steering stem.

It does sound like the T Rex is a better overall deal for the SSS, however I'm personally just not sold on the need for those particular features.

I know I'm a month late, but I'm bored. :lurk:

Archived