Airhawk Seat Cushions - Do They Work?

Guest VFRMagic

Guest VFRMagic

Hi, does anyone have experience with an AirHawk seat cushion? I'm thinking about buying one for my '99 VFR800 since the stock seat isn't good for extended rides. I have used a Butt Buffer seat pad for the past two years, and it's better than the stock seat, but not by a whole lot.

In case anyone is wondering, I am NOT interested in buying a Corbin or Sargent seat to remedy my problems. smile.gif They are expensive, plus I am 6'5" so I want a seat that is effectively taller so I have more legroom.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

• Member Contributer

No experience with the airhawk but I once tried the seat beads idea; a million taxi drivers can't be wrong, right? :laugh: WRONG.

Before-1.jpg

I've also had several versions of both the Corbin and Sargent seats and they are much better. Yes, they cost ($$$) but they do work plus you can have them built up for your specific needs.

If cornering is high on your list, having anything between you and the seat will dilute feedback and make hanging off (or even simple weight shift) more difficult.

• Member Contributer

My buddy bought an Airhawk for his VTR, for our last long trip. We swapped bikes for about 30 min's.... that's about all I could take. It raised the seat height positioning my body over the bars, which put waaay too much weight on my wrist's. It was secured tightly to the seat but it still rolled a bit from side to side creating back pains. After that trip he sold the Airhawk on eBay.

LaborDayRide060.jpg

I used an airhawk seat pad this summer when I did 4 days of 700 miles/day on a quick scoot down to the four corners area in S. CO. I also have a Sergent seat. The sergent seat was perhaps 20% better than stock and extended my non-painful riding time by about an hour. The airhawk was a huge improvement and infinately better for crazy long days, especially if they are back to back days. You have to experiment with the amount of air in the pad. Too much air and they really roll around and raise you up. When inflated properly, your sit bone just touch the seat, and the increase in height and rolling around is pretty minimal.

They are not for "spirited riding", but for iron butt rides where you simply want the comfort. From a comfort standpoint, it is the best $1xx I have spent.

• Member Contributer

you need a new saet!

a bicycle seat!!

as in get you but on a bicycle a use your butt mussels!!

if you can riude a bike for 1 hour on a "soft" mountain bike seat... you should be able to do a good 8 on a stock vfr seat.

• Member Contributer
I used an airhawk seat pad this summer when I did 4 days of 700 miles/day on a quick scoot down to the four corners area in S. CO. I also have a Sergent seat. The sergent seat was perhaps 20% better than stock and extended my non-painful riding time by about an hour. The airhawk was a huge improvement and infinately better for crazy long days, especially if they are back to back days. You have to experiment with the amount of air in the pad. Too much air and they really roll around and raise you up. When inflated properly, your sit bone just touch the seat, and the increase in height and rolling around is pretty minimal.

They are not for "spirited riding", but for iron butt rides where you simply want the comfort. From a comfort standpoint, it is the best $1xx I have spent.

:laugh: :happy:

Do they work, YES! I used mine on my 9,910 mile trip to AK 3 years ago. I did 2 back-to-back 850+ mile days and had no pain. I didn't secure it to the seat and it still worked great. My biggest praise was keeping airflow moving so I had no need for the infamous "Goldbond".

• 4 months later...