Givi Bags On A 3rd Gen?

bigred

I was looking on Givi's site and see that they make a rack that will install on my 93, but it looks like that is for mounting a top-case only. How does that work? Would I be able to fit top and side cases on my bike or just the top case?

• Member Contributer

Givi Wingrack Fitting Kit (Honda VFR750, '90-'93)

Item No: Givi Y143

Twisted Throttle says it's discontinued, but you may be able to find one used.

Good luck!

I found the wingrack and also the fittment kit but its a bit of an eyesore without the bags on it. How hard are these things to install and remove? Could it be done easily often?

• Member Contributer
I found the wingrack and also the fittment kit but its a bit of an eyesore without the bags on it. How hard are these things to install and remove? Could it be done easily often?

On my 4 gen the wing rack comes off in about 10 minutes. Remove seat, remove rear foot peg nuts holding on Givi support bar, remove handrail bolts...that's it. Wing Rack gets more attractive the more you use. Can't stand to wear a backpack any more and love the carring capicity with the side bags installed. I use the top box everyday.

I was looking on Givi's site and see that they make a rack that will install on my 93, but it looks like that is for mounting a top-case only. How does that work? Would I be able to fit top and side cases on my bike or just the top case?

Givi offers two options: installing the monorack that can only carry a top case, and a wingrack that can carry up to two sidecases and a topcase. In the VFRD download section you'll find the installation manuals to get an idea of what is involved. When installing or removing the monorack you have to take the rear fairing off.

I too do not like the look of the the wingrack when riding without cases, they are rather bulky. I always ride with a givi topcase (rack and case are both Givi) and got myself a tubular Five Stars siderack this weekend of eBay. I haven't checked, but I am positive the Givi topcase rack will not interfere with the Five Stars sideracks.

Here is also a good write-up on how to install the Five Stars Luggage racks. Five Stars racks take the same cases as the Givi racks: both Givi and Kappa hardcases.

Givi offers two options: installing the monorack that can only carry a top case, and a wingrack that can carry up to two sidecases and a topcase. In the VFRD download section you'll find the installation manuals to get an idea of what is involved. When installing or removing the monorack you have to take the rear fairing off.

I too do not like the look of the the wingrack when riding without cases, they are rather bulky. I always ride with a givi topcase (rack and case are both Givi) and got myself a tubular Five Stars siderack this weekend of eBay. I haven't checked, but I am positive the Givi topcase rack will not interfere with the Five Stars sideracks.

Here is also a good write-up on how to install the Five Stars Luggage racks. Five Stars racks take the same cases as the Givi racks: both Givi and Kappa hardcases.

The five stars sound like the best option. Can you let me know how that works out when you get the time? And maybe some pictures of the final setup.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I loosely lined the five stars side racks up to the mounted givi topcase rack and it looks like there is not as much height clearence as I expected after seeing the pics from the link in my previous message. The tab should just sit a tad lower so it would fit beneath the rail of the givi rack. Does not look like a problem to make it fit but it is not plug & play.

Some pics:

5starsgivip1010917ct6.jpg

5starsgivip1010940na5.jpg

• 2 months later...

Where did you buy those Five Stars side racks for a 90-93 VFR 750F? I'm having a hard time finding them anywhere!

Thanks,

Jeff

I loosely lined the five stars side racks up to the mounted givi topcase rack and it looks like there is not as much height clearence as I expected after seeing the pics from the link in my previous message. The tab should just sit a tad lower so it would fit beneath the rail of the givi rack. Does not look like a problem to make it fit but it is not plug & play.

Some pics:

5starsgivip1010917ct6.jpg

5starsgivip1010940na5.jpg

I have a full wingrack installed on my '92. Works great although like other listers have noted, a little unsightly without the side cases. My '92 is black so that probably helps with camouflaging the rack. I almost exclusively use it with a top case only although on a few short tours, I have used side cases. The setup works great and I have had no issues after about 6 years of use. You may find a used one on ebay.

You can get the rack portions off fairly easily (side and top) leaving just the mounting rails which are fairly inconspicuous.

hth,

Roger

Where did you buy those Five Stars side racks for a 90-93 VFR 750F? I'm having a hard time finding them anywhere!

Just replied to you email: the manufacturer is JF motorsport in Germany.

Looks like the rack for the 3rd gen is out of production. It is listed in the 2008 catalog but not in the 2009 catalog. Maybe if they get enough requests they will produce another batch.

Thanks for your help everyone. JF Motorsport told me to search eBay for Five Stars racks for a 3rd gen. Twisted Throttle says that the Givi Y143 wing rack is discontinued. Does anyone still manufacture side racks for the 3rd gen? Is anyone here thinking of selling theirs? I might have to follow one of those homemade rack instructions. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks again.

Archived