Left Side Lo-beam As Standard?!?

Traveller

Today I went about to replace what I thought was a burnt out headlight bulb on my '96 VFR. On lo-beam only the left side bulb would be on, so I guessed that the right side bulb was gone.

However, I removed the bulb but it was perfectly ok. :blush:

That puzzled me a bit as in UK and US models I have seen that both bulbs are on at lo-beam. In my VFR both bulbs are working ONLY at hi-beam.

I did a bit of searching on the internet and found out that on EU models single bulb lo-beam is normal. :huh:

Do you guys know anything about this??

I would like to change that and have both bulbs coming on at lo-beam. Has anyone encountered this and/or done such a conversion?

On other forums that I've asked I got negative feedback; some say that I run the risk of overheating the existing wiring or that the right side beam pattern will be all over the place. :dry:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer
Today I went about to replace what I thought was a burnt out headlight bulb on my '96 VFR. On lo-beam only the left side bulb would be on, so I guessed that the right side bulb was gone.

However, I removed the bulb but it was perfectly ok. :blush:

That puzzled me a bit as in UK and US models I have seen that both bulbs are on at lo-beam. In my VFR both bulbs are working ONLY at hi-beam.

I did a bit of searching on the internet and found out that on EU models single bulb lo-beam is normal. :huh:

Do you guys know anything about this??

I would like to change that and have both bulbs coming on at lo-beam. Has anyone encountered this and/or done such a conversion?

On other forums that I've asked I got negative feedback; some say that I run the risk of overheating the existing wiring or that the right side beam pattern will be all over the place. :dry:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

You mean this?? tongue.gif

HPIM0208.jpg

EU ones came standard with left lo beam only.

I had this done by the dealer who did in fact place a relay in the wiring to avoid the overheating potential.

Plenty of electrical gifted members here on VFRD so I guess you will soon read on how to do this.

never had any oncoming traffic flash me at night for "straying light" so I guess that "problem"is overrated...

Yes, US 4th gens have low beams on both sides.....one of the rare instances where the US version seems to have an advantage.............................as long as it's painted red, of course! :huh:

Although I think more recent US spec Honda CBRs were not as lucky.

BTW, Dutchy, what's with the (yellow) "Frog lights"?? :blush:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Yes, US 4th gens have low beams on both sides.....one of the rare instances where the US version seems to have an advantage.............................as long as it's painted red, of course! :huh:

Although I think more recent US spec Honda CBRs were not as lucky.

BTW, Dutchy, what's with the (yellow) "Frog lights"?? :blush:

Beck

95 VFR

Adding a bit of "24 heures du Mans"......

get_image.jpg

HPIM3978.jpg

HPIM3981.jpg

difference?

HPIM3988.jpg

HPIM3986.jpg

EU ones came standard with left lo beam only.

I had this done by the dealer who did in fact place a relay in the wiring to avoid the overheating potential.

Plenty of electrical gifted members here on VFRD so I guess you will soon read on how to do this.

never had any oncoming traffic flash me at night for "straying light" so I guess that "problem"is overrated...

Dutchy mate you just solved my big question!!! :blush:

I am technically inclined so I had a look at the electric schematics of the EU bike and the US bike, and indeed all it takes to run both lights is a simple relay!

However, I was not sure whether the beam pattern of the right side bulb would be ok; but you just solved my question!!!

Stay tunedl I'll post up a couple of pics of the schematics and what it takes to make both bulbs usable! :huh:

Right.

As I said I found the schematics for both EU and US spec bikes and combed them to find differences.

The only differences are the following:

- US bike is running 45W bulbs (EU is 55W)

- US bike doesn't have a lights on/off switch. Instead the lights are rigged to turn on constantly when engine is running.

- EU bike has only 1 relay and uses only LHS bulb for lo-beam.

- US bike has 2 relays and uses both bulbs for lo-beam.

- US bike doesn't have a separate running light in the lighting enclosure but uses the turn signals instead.

So, now, on to the schematics.

US bike...

3062270548_15a11649de_o.jpg

EU bike...

3061430573_f4ef7affff_o.jpg

You can see that in the EU bike, the 2nd relay is missing.

Now, what I need to do is simply to replicate the wiring order of the US spec bike.

I basically have to cut the white wire going to the left side bulb and run it through the new relay.

3062301698_b08d6e6b3e_o.jpg

Result!! wink.gif

Only question now is where is the original relay...

(Something tells me I will need to remove the instrument cluster, and I want to avoid that...)

• Member Contributer

fwiw am sure the dealer didnot remove the instrument cluster....

it only took me the time to drink 2 coffees before they said "done".....

fwiw am sure the dealer didnot remove the instrument cluster....

it only took me the time to drink 2 coffees before they said "done".....

A quick look at the service manual showed the relay to be close to the fuse box. However, this is not the case. It seems to be behind the instrument cluster, in which case the upper fairing needs to be removed (and I definitely cannot be @rsed to to so).

I will have a look in the morning.... :blush:

Archived