Lights/cluster On, Injectors Prime, Bike Won't Start

Guest themattydubs

Guest themattydubs

Hey all,

I have searched for my exact problem but can't find anything that sounds exactly like this.

06 VFRfi

I geared up and went to the garage to ride to school, turned the bike key to ignition on, flipped the kill switch, let the injectors prime for a couple seconds and hit the starter. I only get a rapid, mechanical, plastic sounding click while I hold it. Absolutely no engine noise or sound that would indicate it trying to turn over. I don't know much about this kind of stuff. The headlights seem strong as ever, gauges too, no dimming when I try to start it.

Sad to say I don't get to ride it often or for long times. Mostly to school, about 10 minutes. It had sat for about 10 days and the last time I did ride it slightly struggled to start, needing a little throttle.

I don't know what to think, battery, rectifier, relay....

Any help would be great, Thanks, Matty

• Member Contributer
Sad to say I don't get to ride it often or for long times. Mostly to school, about 10 minutes. It had sat for about 10 days and the last time I did ride it slightly struggled to start, needing a little throttle.

I think you answered your own question. You need to RIDE that thing to keep the battery charged. Hook it up to a trickle charger and try again tomorrow wink.gif

Hey all,

I have searched for my exact problem but can't find anything that sounds exactly like this.

06 VFRfi

I geared up and went to the garage to ride to school, turned the bike key to ignition on, flipped the kill switch, let the injectors prime for a couple seconds and hit the starter. I only get a rapid, mechanical, plastic sounding click while I hold it. Absolutely no engine noise or sound that would indicate it trying to turn over. I don't know much about this kind of stuff. The headlights seem strong as ever, gauges too, no dimming when I try to start it.

Any help would be great, Thanks, Matty

I would try and jump it, if you do it off a car don't have it running though. If it starts you know its something in the charging system. Do you put the battery on a tender when it sits? Winter? If you dont have a battery tender go get one and charge up the battery and see if that helps. They come with a attachment you can permanently put it on the bike so you can easily hook up the tender when your not going to ride for a while. An abused battery can crap out in two years but a well taken care of one will last longer. Before replacing the battery check all the connections in the charging system. I had my Seca not charge because of a bad connection. If you have a multimeter you should be able to diagnose the charging system. If you have access to the factory manual it should tell you how. Once upon a time I found a great article on explaining now to troubleshoot a charging system. Ill see if I can dig it up and post it.

Charge the battery fully...damage can and will be done to the electrical system and battery if you attempt to use the bike to re-charge a dead battery. I also prescribe longer rides, take some 45 minute pleasure cruises every week, you will be surprised how much it helps with school.

Thanks guys, the charger went on it at lunch time so hopefully the battery just didn't like short trips and long sits in between. It just scared me because of all the electrical problems the VFRs can have. My last bike was an abused gixxer that would sit outside for up to a month at a time in the winter and always start up happily given the chance.

Charge the battery fully...damage can and will be done to the electrical system and battery if you attempt to use the bike to re-charge a dead battery. I also prescribe longer rides, take some 45 minute pleasure cruises every week, you will be surprised how much it helps with school.

As soon as I get this figured out and the heated grips installed I will be filling out your script, but vet school doesn't like to give me time for pleasure too often.

I'll follow up tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Charge it. If it will push start, it's your relay,....................... Hmmmmm............. How would I know this?.............

pushava.gif

Tell tail trick is the bike will start some times, and not others. The problem will get worse. You can always jump the terminals, also.

Charge it. If it will push start, it's your relay,....................... Hmmmmm............. How would I know this?.............

pushava.gif

Tell tail trick is the bike will start some times, and not others. The problem will get worse. You can always jump the terminals, also.

Push Start = Start does not always (or even usually) mean the starter Relay is going bad. Being able to short across the main terminals and have it crank over IS an indication of either a bad switch(starter, kick stand, neutral, bank) or bad relay however.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived