Instrument Panel Lights

Leeworthy

• Member Contributer

I am looking for instrument panel lights for my 83 VF750F.

I bought some at Canadian Tire and they don't work.. Anyone have a part number or know where I can get them? I would prefer some that are brighter then the stock ones if possible.. But I guess now, just seeing my gauges at night would be nice lol.

What #s are on the lights, and what did you buy? I have never looked at mine, and yours would be different anyway, but it should be possible to find a higher wattage version of the same bulb design.

• Member Contributer

It says 3W/12V

So 3 watt 12 volt. I found some bulbs, but the plug on the end dont fit into my sockets... And that was the smallest I could find at Crappy Tire

The dealer sells those bulbs for $1.50. 34908-MB0-003 is the part number

For automotive bulbs, try number 24 from most any brand. This is still a 3w bulb, but might be more available.

Did you try superbrightleds.com?

I looked into this, but got steered in the wrong direction by someone who didn't know better. The 5led bulbs fitMagna sockets, not the 'ceptor sockets... sooo... I have someone sorcing me some Magna sockets that I'll have to splice in.

There is a smaller bulb available from sbleds that will fit the Ceptor sockets for the indicator lights. If I find the # before you, I'll post it here.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...148&next=50

The "74" series will (should) work in your case. Normally 74 is a lower wattage, but they use the 74 number to indicate the size, not the wattage.

That's them. The bulbs I bought were 194/168 type bulbs - too big for the VF sockets. The 74 bulbs will fit, but I don't think they'll be bright enough for the gauge backlighting. They should work for the indicator lights, and I bought them color coded for the indicators too, instead of getting all white.

• Member Contributer

Hrmm interesting...

I will have to source something out.. Maybe just straight wire some really bright LED's into the wiring and get rid of the socket all together..

Hrmm interesting...

I will have to source something out.. Maybe just straight wire some really bright LED's into the wiring and get rid of the socket all together..

Don't forget to use the appropriate resistors if you do that, and also pay attention to view angle, not just brightness. If the LED needs to illuminate a wide area, you will want a wider view angle. For a turn signal indicator or similar you might get away with a narrower (25 degree?) view angle. For the cost of those bulbs I would just use them, seems an easy replacement.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the indicator lights all work fine, and are plenty bright. Its the guages that are basically out.. The fuel guage is nice and bright but the top of the speedo is out.. The bulb is gone, as well as that entire guage you can barely see. As Seb mentioned he doubts the 74 bulb will be bright enough for the guage backlighting..'

Maybe I could run some of that fine wire ropelight around the circumfrence of my guages and then that would light it up nice?

So may things to try this year. I was also looking at trying to change the face of the guage to a completely different color.. Can this be done?

Archived