Headlight Mod.

bayarearider

Question

It seems like mere fixed headlights [Lo or Hi] may not be enough visibility anymore!? (Text and Cells Suc on the road)

I'm planning on installing a headlight modulator on a 6th gen shortly to mate with the already done rear wig wag and recently came across this Vid* showing the hook up to the HI-beams.

Thinking that may be the way to go, offering more options of useage & maybe a bit more intrusion to uninforced daily commute text and cell calls.

Waddaya think?

(not my vid or soundtrack but look at around the 1:40 mark)

5 answers to this question

That would have been a lot better with the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal.... I really don't associate Michael Jackson with how I feel on my VFR.... but as you said... not your choice of music.

I use the Signal Dynamics headlight modulator. I have it wired into my lower pair of bulbs. I have done a headlight mod so that I have both high and low beams in the lower pair.

I wired mine in such a way that it only modulates on high beam. If I am running low beam there is no modulating. I like it set up this way so that if I am stuck in traffic behind someone I don't annoy them with modulating in their rear view mirror.

I find that modulator work really well. In my own studies I have proven that traffic will part in front of you if you run the modulator. If you turn the modulator off traffic tends to park in front of you.

I also feel that it does get you noticed better on cross-street traffic, although I don't do much in-town driving.

• Member Contributer

I have used the Diamond star and now currently use the Kisan headlight modulator and they both work great. They will move people from out in front of you, however that is absolutely not what I use it for. I consider it a serendipitous side-effect. It definitely gets you noticed more, far more than straight pipes anyway. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
That would have been a lot better with the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal.... I really don't associate Michael Jackson with how I feel on my VFR.... but as you said... not your choice of music.

I use the Signal Dynamics headlight modulator. I have it wired into my lower pair of bulbs. I have done a headlight mod so that I have both high and low beams in the lower pair.

I wired mine in such a way that it only modulates on high beam. If I am running low beam there is no modulating. I like it set up this way so that if I am stuck in traffic behind someone I don't annoy them with modulating in their rear view mirror.

I find that modulator work really well. In my own studies I have proven that traffic will part in front of you if you run the modulator. If you turn the modulator off traffic tends to park in front of you.

I also feel that it does get you noticed better on cross-street traffic, although I don't do much in-town driving.

Care to share your headlight mod? Sounds great!. I do a lot of in town riding (commuting) and need to do SOMETHING to keep people from turnng left in front of me.

Thanks.

That would have been a lot better with the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal.... I really don't associate Michael Jackson with how I feel on my VFR....

I donno, maybe " I'm looking for the Car in the Mirra"

Yeah, your's sounds like what the Vid shows- Excellent!

So, instead of cutting into the Lo's, the Hi leads are cut into?

Sounds like the way to go, Thanks!

Care to share your headlight mod? Sounds great!. I do a lot of in town riding (commuting) and need to do SOMETHING to keep people from turnng left in front of me.

Thanks.

Well, sorry I never really drew it all out.

But it was very similar to "*767fixer's" headlight mod (he's been banned, came back as a (hot) woman named "VIXEN", outed himself, and seems to be missing again). Anyways... after he was banned the first time (which I don't really know why) his posts seemed to have dissappeared. As a side note, if you type his screen name in... it will appear as "banned" in the post. So he is really disliked.

You will need to add new plugs that support hi/low beam to your lower pair of headlamps. Then I added a relay that was energized when the upper pair of bulbs were on. Thus the Normally Open (NO) goes to the high filament on the lower pair and the Normally Closed (NC) goes to the low filament on the lower pair.

Here is yet another take on the same idea LINK by Darth Bling. There are a million and one ways to accomplish this.

Then I wired in the modulator so that it was only on with high beams.

Archived