Rectifer Conection Problem

Guest rifts

I replaced my rectifier on my 86 vfr 700 in May. Today while riding the bike stopped holding charge. Was able to limp the bik home, and when I got it home I took a checked the connections and noticed this

IMAGE_00009.jpg

(sorry for the crappy picture - camera on phone sucks)

Seems like it shorted somewhere and burned through the connector. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this connection. Would it be possible for me to cut out the burnt part of the wires and run these straight through? Or does anyone know if the clips for this are still sold? Any info on this or any point in the right direction would be greatly apperciated

• Member Contributer

You can get replacement connectors at many places, such as electrical connection, california sport touring, cycle re-cycle, cycle wearables, eastern beaver, and vehicle wiring products, to name but a few.

It is possible that the connectors were corroded, which caused high resistance, which caused them to burn. These wires look damaged for at least an inch or two either side of the connector, so you should at least cut that much out if you fit new connectors.

Ciao,

cut the wires back until they are clean copper and splice in new ones. I see that all the time, fairly easy to splice in a new connector, hardwiring is a bit permanent due to the possibility of wanting to take it apart down the road.

PM me if you need a repair kit for it.

Archived