Shift Lever Too Short.

Peto

Question

• Member Contributer

Whats up guys.

My shift lever is a bit too short for me. The lever makes contact in middle/front of my toe. Thurn Motosports does sell a longer shift lever for the VFR for $50. However, the lever is 35mm longer than stock and I would prefer 25mm, or approximately 1 inch. I don't have good welding equipment or the skill to do it properly at the moment. I am not happy about this beacuse I like to do things myself... One of life's curve balls has recently deprived me of my garage and my apartment is not the ideal place to learn to weld aluminum... :fing02:

Any suggestions?

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

500 bucks and according to their website only available for the RC30 (vfr750).

Also, the way I read the "position" choices - I can only choose to move the peg up or up and back.

This is not what I am trying to do.

I want to extend the shift lever arm towards the peg.

500 bucks and according to their website only available for the RC30 (vfr750).

Also, the way I read the "position" choices - I can only choose to move the peg up or up and back.

This is not what I am trying to do.

I want to extend the shift lever arm towards the peg.

They have a 6th gen version coming out with adjustable shifter peg.. There is a post around here somewhere on it..

If its made out of the same metal as the brake lever see my post on shortening the brake lever..

• Member Contributer
They have a 6th gen version coming out with adjustable shifter peg.. There is a post around here somewhere on it..

If its made out of the same metal as the brake lever see my post on shortening the brake lever..

Yeah, I see the adjustability of that rear set. I wonder why they don't list any products for the 6th gen on their website. Besides, I would need the setup for the 5th gen.

Anyway, we are straying far from what I am after. I want to keep my stock setup, just make the shift lever longer.

• Member Contributer

I guess what it boils down to is 2 options:

1) Fabricate a new lever from scratch. I have no idea where to get this done, or how to provide that place with the correct measurments, especially the tooth pattern on the gearshift spindle.

2) Cut my lever in half. Drill two holes straight through in each half. Bolt a piece of metal spanning the gap using two bolts in each side to prevent rotation. This way is doable, but I'm not sure I want to have it be that way...

Hmmm....

• Member Contributer

The 25mm is already on the big size. I think 35mm will be too much.

I'm an 8.5 US size. My BMW boots are size 41.

I am wearing out the toe of the boot in front of the extra leather pad thing for shifting.

Plus I am a bit sloppy with my shift sometimes, especially when I'm tired. I think it partly has to do with the lack of control I have that distance from my ankle. Its difficult to pre-load too.

I have two shift levers, so if one gets ruined, its not like the bike will be down...

Archived