Head Light Burn Out

Guest girardi09

Guest girardi09

HELP!

Earlier this week, I had a headlight burnout, no big deal. Went to the store, bought a new headlight but when I installed it the headlight only was about 1/3 as bright as the other.

The other issue is that now my turn signals aren’t working properly, the left signal is locked on, and the right is off.

I did go back to the store and get a new bulb but with the same result.

After this debacle, I put the burnt bulb back in and everything works great except for the fact that I have only one head light.

I checked the fuse, which looked fine. What seems to be the issue????

• Member Contributer
HELP!

Earlier this week, I had a headlight burnout, no big deal. Went to the store, bought a new headlight but when I installed it the headlight only was about 1/3 as bright as the other.

The other issue is that now my turn signals aren’t working properly, the left signal is locked on, and the right is off.

I did go back to the store and get a new bulb but with the same result.

After this debacle, I put the burnt bulb back in and everything works great except for the fact that I have only one head light.

I checked the fuse, which looked fine. What seems to be the issue????

I have no idea what else to say except my 07 has blown bulb after bulb... head and tail. It's VIFFER thing.

Kevin

Weird! Have you tried putting the good bulb in the other side and see what happens? Are the bulbs you bought from the store the same wattage as the one you are replacing? If the bulbs are exactly the same it sounds like you might have a short in the wiring. With the burned out bulb the circuit is open but with a good bulb you complete the circuit and the short is causing you turn signal to come on and the head light is not getting the juice it should (dim). I was also thinking you could also check the high beam/turn signal control and make sure its good. Hopefully someone will chime in and have a more exact diagnosis. Good Luck!

Action

Weird! Have you tried putting the good bulb in the other side and see what happens? Are the bulbs you bought from the store the same wattage as the one you are replacing? If the bulbs are exactly the same it sounds like you might have a short in the wiring. With the burned out bulb the circuit is open but with a good bulb you complete the circuit and the short is causing you turn signal to come on and the head light is not getting the juice it should (dim). I was also thinking you could also check the high beam/turn signal control and make sure its good. Hopefully someone will chime in and have a more exact diagnosis. Good Luck!

Action

It sounds more like a bad ground actually. He is seeing feedback with the good bulb, and an open circuit with the bad bulb.

I've blown 3 or 4 set of low beams in 43,000 mile, this last set used is GE brand Motorcycle at walmart. They've been in there since last october or november and not blown yet, thats the longest i've ever seen any last.

But as far as all the others bulbs, never had a failure yet

I have no idea what else to say except my 07 has blown bulb after bulb... head and tail. It's VIFFER thing.

Kevin

Not normal. My 05' has never burned out a tail light, or turn signal bulb. It burned out two low beams in less than 1,000 miles when I switched to those crap Silverstars, to much heat I think. I went back to normal bulbs no problem. My bike has 35K miiles on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Kevin

Not normal. My 05' has never burned out a tail light, or turn signal bulb. It burned out two low beams in less than 1,000 miles when I switched to those crap Silverstars, to much heat I think. I went back to normal bulbs no problem. My bike has 35K miiles on it.

My 02 had no headlight problems for 60k. Now, I have corrected my headlight problems with some home made parts. Now both headlamps are working fine... for now. But, I still continue to blow tail lamps after a day or two. How do I trouble shoot this?

Kevin

Archived