Yellow Vfr Emissions

thereisnospoon

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi and thanks in advance... I'm plotting to move from TX to San Diego. I have a 2000 VFR (and a 2001 Chevy Blazer but that's for a different forum probably...) and I need to find out if it is 50 state emissions legal or only 49? I do NOT want to sell or trade the bike and would prefer to "fix" it so it will pass emissions there, but I need whatever information is available. I just realized it may be in the Clymer manual, so if the info is in there i can look, but if anyone here knows I'd appreciate it.

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

No Spoon:

The '00 was/is CARB 2008 approved. However, it does not have the charcoal canister (unless purchased in CA).

I think the deal with CA is how long you've owned it out of state.

I'm sure the folks in CA that have had to register 49 state bikes will chime in...

• Member Contributer

I moved to California from Colorado in 2005 and didn't have any problem registering my 49 state vehicles. No modifications were required. The only slightly annoying thing I had to do was to get my 1972 Chevy truck weighed. In Colorado, offroad motorcycles don't have titles, but I didn't have any problems getting it titled once I got to California.

Thanks for the info, that sounds like what I need to know.

Hit me up when you get to Socal, Im there for a month or so after I get back from my deployment in September

Should be no problem registering it in CA. I think it has to be owned and registered at least 6 months out of state to qualify for no emmissions penalty fees. You do have to take it to a DOT station to have it inspected to get your registration approved. They check if the frame and engine numbers all match your paperwork and if all the required lights and signals are there and work properly. I suggest that your put back your OEM muffler if you have an aftermarket one just to be sure. In other words, get the bike as close to stock as possible for the inspection.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived