Chatterbox Wind Noises

Guest altransam

Guest altransam

Hello People,

Wife and i use a chatterbox system on the RWB with an Arai RX7rr for me and an Icon Mainframe for her,

There is a lot of wind noise comming thru the headset from i suppose the mikes, tried to locate them differently inside the helmet but still noisy, gets very annoying after 4-5 hours.... :goofy:

Is there a way to better "insulate" the mikes :huh:

Thanks

Alain from Montreal

I don't think there's a lot you can do with the chatterbox.. if you've got a loud helmet (like the rx7), it's better to invest in an autocom (which does noise canceling) and a GMRS radio. That way you're fully compatible with chatterboxes.

• Member Contributer

do you guys use ear plugs? I've thought about getting some sort of system to communicate with the wife but I always felt that I wouldn't be able to hear.

Also, check out blueant. They have a bluetooth noise canceling system thats $125 and gets great reviews. You can use the bluetooth intercom for about 490 feet, or hands free cellular. I'm thinking about getting that if I can verify its loud enough.

I have a very noisy HJC helmet, and I use the BlueAnt interphone intercom. I ended up replacing the foam mic cover with a larger one that stopped more wind. You can find em at radio shack or similar stores...or even ebay.

• Member Contributer
I have a very noisy HJC helmet, and I use the BlueAnt interphone intercom. I ended up replacing the foam mic cover with a larger one that stopped more wind. You can find em at radio shack or similar stores...or even ebay.

So how do you like the blueant, and do you use earplugs and still hear it well ?

• Member Contributer

Ear plugs make a large difference in the operation of all this stuff.

I use earplugs with my chatterbox and RX7 and if there is wind noise it is quieter than the voice transmission and gets cancelled by the earplugs.

As far as the BluAnt, I am curious since I have a bluetooth Zumo, but I need something that works well with music through earplugs.

• Member Contributer
Ear plugs make a large difference in the operation of all this stuff.

I use earplugs with my chatterbox and RX7 and if there is wind noise it is quieter than the voice transmission and gets cancelled by the earplugs.

As far as the BluAnt, I am curious since I have a bluetooth Zumo, but I need something that works well with music through earplugs.

the blueant is mono only, so music would be its downfall.

So how do you like the blueant, and do you use earplugs and still hear it well ?

It makes a spectacular intercom. Highway speeds and above with no problems talking to a passenger. Crystal clear. I also love how small and low profile the unit is. Very easy install, and barely noticeable. The bluetooth connection to a cell phone leaves a little to be desired. Below 60mph is ok, but on the highway it gets a little tough to talk.

• Member Contributer
It makes a spectacular intercom. Highway speeds and above with no problems talking to a passenger. Crystal clear. I also love how small and low profile the unit is. Very easy install, and barely noticeable. The bluetooth connection to a cell phone leaves a little to be desired. Below 60mph is ok, but on the highway it gets a little tough to talk.

Do you use earplugs or not?

• Member Contributer

I also use the Blueant Interphone. My wife can hear me fine, but I get a lot of wind noise from her side. She also wears a HJC helmet that is very noisy, my Scorpion is a lot quieter. I'll have to try the larger foam mic covers, and also ear plugs.

Do you use earplugs or not?

Nope, very rarely will I use earplugs. 99% of the time i dont

• Member Contributer

I use the Scala Q2 which has bluetooth bike to bike(500meters, untested so far), bike to passenger and bike to phone. My wife says that it sounds very good and clear up to about 80mph when I am talking by phone. I use an HJC CL type O helmet with one of those quiet helmet surrounds that go around the bottom lip of your helmet. It works out pretty good(hot though...). The best thing about the Scala for me is the FM radio. I use an Ipod FM transmitter that has a line in that I also plug my gps into. So I get voice prompts from my GPS through the Scala while listening to the Ipod. I use a Macally FMCup as the transmitter. It's not distracting at all, I only accept incoming calls and only for a few minutes.

I use earplugs with my autocom, bike to bike and also with passenger, I can hear everything fine. No wind noise with or without earplugs. My wife and I converse bike to bike easily at 80 mph on the highway with the Autocom, it's well worth the money. I wouldn't play around with anything else.

• Member Contributer

I found that earplugs do make a difference when it comes to hearing the other person. But I have the chatterbox with the noise cancelling, and it does a decent job. My HJC helmet is a bit loud though. And im not a big fan of the PTT button, nor the large speakers that don't seem to be loud enough, nor the giant microphone. It gets the job done though.

Thinking of finally going back to this though.

vanquish.jpg

http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/produ...Throat_Mic.html

Bought it, but then couldn't hear my friend well, so i thought that it wasn't that good. Just broke it out again and was messing around with it, and I can hear myself crystal clear. Its far cheaper than a chatterbox, and you won't have any wind noise through the mic. Just pick out a radio and whichever headphones/earbuds/speakers you want. I think mine came with two PTTs. One that was about a small stack of pennies, and the other that I could slip up my glove to a finger and barely feel it. In case it slipped past, you can use any headphones you want, and probably any ptt switch too. Like I said, I need to try this, cause im not fully satisfied with the chatterbox.

Archived