Icon Helmet

cruzinaz

• Member Contributer

Has anyone tried out the new air frame helmet? Riding here sometimes gets a "little" warm :biggrin: they claim it's AC for your head,,,, but they are trying to SELL them,,,, not like I don't believe salesman, but...... I put more trust in actual users, especially here :fing02:

• Member Contributer
No experience here, but I gotta ask, have you held one in your hands? They are huge!

No, no one here has them in stock that I know of, but they would be happy to order one in for me, If I don't like it I get a store credit,, no thanx

I have the Icon "hooligan" helmet now, go figure :biggrin: are they bigger than those?

• Member Contributer

IMHO..

Icon = Junk

Most of there gear is marketed to people who want to look good, not the whole safe part. I know, they are DOT and snell aproved, but you can't go wrong with helmets from Shoei, Suomy, Arai.....

• Member Contributer
IMHO..

Icon = Junk

Most of there gear is marketed to people who want to look good, not the whole safe part. I know, they are DOT and snell aproved, but you can't go wrong with helmets from Shoei, Suomy, Arai.....

Haha, dont sugar coat it, tell me how you feel about Icon :biggrin:

The other helmet I'm looking at is Shoei

• Member Contributer

I own a Shoei RF-1000 and absolutly love it. When you open the top vents, you can actually feel the air flow on the top of your head. Fits great and changing the shield takes aprox... 25 seconds....

If I'm going slow :biggrin:

Yes, the Air Frame is bigger, I have the a Mainframe now(my third, and my 4th Icon lid), a buddy had one of those newer shells and it was noticably bulkier, about the same weight though because they're using lighter materials now. Probably doesn't help wind buffeting though.

I wear an XL Icon, and a L Shoei RF1000 fits *perfect*. I would be wearing one now, except that I hate their graphics... :biggrin:

i have an icon jacket and helmet, cant remember which model though. i f'n love it. more comfortable than my shoei for sure. but honestly, my hjc is the best ive owned.

• Member Contributer
IMHO..

Icon = Junk

Do you now or have you ever owned any of their gear? Just curious...

Yes, the Air Frame is bigger, I have the a Mainframe now(my third, and my 4th Icon lid), a buddy had one of those newer shells and it was noticably bulkier, about the same weight though because they're using lighter materials now. Probably doesn't help wind buffeting though.

I wear an XL Icon, and a L Shoei RF1000 fits *perfect*. I would be wearing one now, except that I hate their graphics... :biggrin:

I've tryed alot of their stuff on at dealerships and shows. I think it fits horrible. I use an XL shoei and needed something like a XXL or XXXL helmet from ICon. Their jackets didn't fit me for ^* either. I normally use a Large Joe Rocket or Hein Gerike, Icon fitting me wasn't pretty.

• Member Contributer

Dang, this thread almost reminds me of a Harley thread now :fing02: tongue.gif

I wear Icon, Joe Rocket, Tour Master, Etc.... stuff, I don't think any of it's junk, and if the helmets are DOT and Snell it cant be that bad, IMO,, the Icon helmet fits my fat head well, now to get back on the subject,,, has anyone ridden with an Air Frame helmet?? :biggrin: Its frikkin HOT here now.

I own a Shoei RF-1000 and absolutly love it. When you open the top vents, you can actually feel the air flow on the top of your head. Fits great and changing the shield takes aprox... 25 seconds....

If I'm going slow :biggrin:

You probably mean 25 seconds if you wash both shield :P

• Member Contributer
Sorry for the ho'ing, I cut my crap back out. Carry on!

same here :blush:

And no I've never used the air frame.

HAHA, shouldn't have cut 'em out guys, I was just messin with ya. I'm prolly one of the worst here for goin :laugh: and ho'in

To me the "bantering" back n forth is what makes keeps it interesting, if it truly gets outta control the Mods handle it :goofy:

Sorry for the ho'ing, I cut my crap back out. Carry on!

same here :blush:

And no I've never used the air frame.

HAHA, shouldn't have cut 'em out guys, I was just messin with ya. I'm prolly one of the worst here for goin :laugh: and ho'in

To me the "bantering" back n forth is what makes keeps it interesting, if it truly gets outta control the Mods handle it :blush:

Let's at least get your question answered first! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
I wear an XL Icon, and a L Shoei RF1000 fits *perfect*. I would be wearing one now, except that I hate their graphics... :laugh:

Seb, they come in solid colors. Solid black in M is perfect for me...although I'm going to purchase an X-Eleven next spring, just because (well, that and I think it might vent a bit better)!

Only thing that might tempt me from a Shoei is an Arai but I doubt it.

I guess that's not a lot of help with the Icon question other than to say I'd get a Shoei.

I wear an XL Icon, and a L Shoei RF1000 fits *perfect*. I would be wearing one now, except that I hate their graphics... :laugh:

Seb, they come in solid colors. Solid black in M is perfect for me...although I'm going to purchase an X-Eleven next spring, just because (well, that and I think it might vent a bit better)!

I guess that's not a lot of help with the Icon question other than to say I'd get a Shoei.

That's the thing, I've got a few solid helmets already, I want one with graphics. I really like AGV's lids but htey just don't fit! Love the Stealth Arabesque helmet... Arai's are nice too, but again, the fit thing. Shoei has some that I like, until you look at the back, or vice versa. The only one I might buy is the black & white Voyager.

• Member Contributer

That's the thing, I've got a few solid helmets already, I want one with graphics. I really like AGV's lids but htey just don't fit! Love the Stealth Arabesque helmet... Arai's are nice too, but again, the fit thing. Shoei has some that I like, until you look at the back, or vice versa. The only one I might buy is the black & white Voyager.

I too have tried AGV and didn't care for the fit. Funny, I was just scoping out a Voyager last week...although I like the TC-6 silver & white (but then my VFR is silver)!

If anyone reading this has a RWB VFR check out the Shoei X-11 Lawson.

• Member Contributer
If anyone reading this has a RWB VFR check out the Shoei X-11 Lawson.

Thats the other helmet I was looking at, wouldn't have to take a brand new helmet and do the gut and paint routine for a change. I tried on a buddies X-11 and it fit pretty well, he claims its cool riding so I may just pry it off his head next time were out and see for myself.

I have 7 helmets right now, everyone has it's good, and bad points, If I'm out on the X with a passenger ya cant beat the modulers, anyway, my quest right now is for the absolute coolest helmet I can find for the three months of 100+ degree heat we have here, not really caring all that much about wind noise, etc.

On a side note,,,,I have read testing on all kinds of helmets, thanx to this site, and it's surprising that some of the cheaper ones crash tested better than the big bux, big name ones

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the other helmet I was looking at, wouldn't have to take a brand new helmet and do the gut and paint routine for a change. I tried on a buddies X-11 and it fit pretty well, he claims its cool riding so I may just pry it off his head next time were out and see for myself.

I have 7 helmets right now, everyone has it's good, and bad points, If I'm out on the X with a passenger ya cant beat the modulers, anyway, my quest right now is for the absolute coolest helmet I can find for the three months of 100+ degree heat we have here, not really caring all that much about wind noise, etc.

The light weight, aerodynamics and air flow make the X-Eleven kick A$$!

• Member Contributer
My Airframe Seventh Seal is coming in the mail as I type this :unsure: . I'll let you know how it is.

:beer: Thanx! when are you gonna have it? huh?huh? huh? is it here yet??? :laugh:

IMHO..

Icon = Junk

Haha, dont sugar coat it, tell me how you feel about Icon :laugh:

Hey man, if you want a LIKE new Shoei RF-1000, let me know. I have one in XL, metallic black (worn about 3 times) that I will cut you a deal on. I can't stand it. It's like being inside a hurricane. My head buffets all over the place and the loud, booming wind noise is deafening. My old HJC AC10 is like riding inside a Rolls Royce by comparison.

IMHO..

Icon = Junk

Haha, dont sugar coat it, tell me how you feel about Icon :laugh:

Hey man, if you want a LIKE new Shoei RF-1000, let me know. I have one in XL, metallic black (worn about 3 times) that I will cut you a deal on. I can't stand it. It's like being inside a hurricane. My head buffets all over the place and the loud, booming wind noise is deafening.

And then he puts the bike in gear to roll out of the driveway......

Archived