350 Miles Through Kentucky Twisties... Couple'a Pics...

Guest Logicus

Guest Logicus

frankfort2.jpg

Well, I wanted to get some riding in on my trusty VFR and get used to the way she handles, etc... So, why not do it with a 300+ mile road trip through KY with a couple of friends. My buddy has a HD Fatboy that he's not afraid to burn a couple of milimeters of floorboard off of! My other buddy rides a Suzuki GS550S and he can just about ride the wheels off of that.

So we started out near Burlington, in McVille, KY and headed down 42 to 127 down through Owen county and on to Frankfort. The ride was good, and Frankfort is a pretty cool little town with a pretty laid back "Americana" feel. The first two pics are in Frankfort at the Capital building.

Out of Frankfort, we took 421 over to 22. 421 is apparently known as the KY version of "The Dragon". And besides the fact that it's much shorter, the curves are kinda reminiscent of the Dragon; clean, smooth, just don't last long enough! Once we hit 22 and went east, I was feeling a whole lot better about my VFR. It seemed very front heavy when I first started out, like the bike wanted to "fall" into turns prematurely, and just wasn't confidence inspiring. By this time, though, it was my turn to lead, and I thoroughly enjoyed hacking forth through the twisties on State Route 22 especially after we got through Owenton. Once we hit 36 near Jamestown, I split off from the rest of the group and headed east to finish out 22 from Jamestown through Falmouth and on to route 10 and back to Maysville, where I live.

By the end of my ride, I must say "WOW" about my 97 VFR. I now feel as at home on it as I did on my Hawk, and I have a lot of exploring to do! I feel like I want to get the front forks rebuilt and sprung, and I'd really love to redo the rear suspension. AND I wanna redo the entire exhaust and move to - preferably - a left side or undertail exhaust. Something as loud as possible! Looking forward to more miles soon!

An odd grouping...

frankfort1.jpg

frankfort3.jpg

• Member Contributer
Nice post! :biggrin:

Hwy 22 from Williamstown to Falmouth = GOOD! US421 north of Frankfort is a nice little stretch but like you said, it runs out way to quickly. If you would like more twisties... you need to get into the mountains of eastern KY. Plenty of good stuff down there and it goes for MILES AND MILES.

Kevin

Archived