Allegheny National Forest

Northwestern PA says, "Hi." :fing02:

I did an uneventful solo ride to, around and from the Allegheny National Forest yesterday. 411 miles in all and only hit the freeway on the way back to make some time, plus I didn't want to ride thru any decent sized cities. I hit many small towns during my ride but most were small enough to get thru in a couple minutes. I also passed quite a few vehicles along the way (and most legally) but even on the 2-lane state highways there were plenty of places to pass.

I took my time getting there, again trying to avoid cities larger than small towns/villages, but did stop at a couple motorcycle dealers to look around a few minutes. (Still have yet to see an '08 VFR on a showroom floor BTW.) I got to the Forest maybe around 1 p.m. and rode around it for a few hours.

I rode the Forest with several other riders one day last fall and had a blast. But I should have taken note of what roads we saw, as I don't think I hit many of them yesterday. PA 666 looks great on a map, but take my advice and stay away from it. Most of it is very poorly paved, with many potholes, some tar, some gravel, some dirt, a few rocks and no lines at all. I got bounced all over the place. It makes Wayah Road (for those of you who know it) look like I-70. The eastern end of 666 - I think from Lynch to Barnes, PA - is in much better condition, but actually pretty boring.

I hit a couple backroads thru the Forest, too, including non-highways. Some were of the "chip and seal" gravel variety. Tough road conditions but manageable, especially if you're used to the imperfect but fun roads of SE Ohio. Actually, compared to the roads I saw yesterday, SE OH roads are a breeze. I probably pushed it a little bit considering the road conditions, but not dangerously so.

I have to hand it to my VFR - even with my weight and the bike's stock suspension, the bike handled very well on those terrible roads. Plus of course it was comfortable all day. I took a few breaks here and there and tried to say hydrated. Also, I wore full gear. I'm normally geared up head-to-toe for such rides, except for wearing jeans instead of real riding pants. Yesterday I wore the riding pants and man was it hot! I don't regret wearing them but will still reserve them for the 'serious' rides.

Sorry, no pix. Not my thing usually anyway, but I did take the camera. There just weren't many places I saw yesterday that I felt were worth stopping to photograph and share with friends.

My only complaint besides the conditions on Route 666 was repeated encounters with road construction where the road was down to one lane. Not fun sitting in the hot sun in full gear. I think I hit 3 places like that.

Even with the bad roads and construction, however, I have to count this as a successful ride! I didn't face the twisty roads challenges I'd hoped to, but I did still challenge myself on 666 and the other backroads I rode, and of course I got home safe and sound after a long day in the saddle. How could you not chalk that up a good day?! smile.gif

Hope some of you can join me next time. I'll also be happy to get suggestions for better roads to hit next time, too!

BTW, this is my 3000th post on VFRD. I may spend way too much time here, and could be accused of being a "post ho" once in awhile, but at least this 'milestone' post was a more meaningful one! wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Let me know too. I picked up a brochure that has several cycle loops throughout the southern tier of NY and northern PA that I intend to try later this summer or fall.

Eh ECX585, Your close enough to me or me to you that we could make it to each others neck of the woods pretty easy and in about hour. If you want to give it try let me know and if you want to see some of the roads I know or want to show me some of yours I'm all for it. This may help you also if you don't know the Routemeister (sp?) Who is one of the best guys to follow or know and knows roads every place and lives really close to you.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/

Archived