02 Elim, Ride Then Stumble Almost Stall?...

jasonsmith

Question

• Member Contributer

I finally unplugged my o2 sensors and put in the resistors. Went for ride and about 5 min in, I stopped at a junction and the rpm's fell to about 500 where I caught it. I continued feeding throttle intermittently to keep her running. I tried to start off a couple times but there was no power and she would come close to stalling. I reved her to about 3k and then got going, then it felt ok. At the next stop all was ok and I was unable to get it to repeat.

It's the only thing I have done. It was also a normal start, didn't do the prime/off/start/key method and don't want to. All the rest is stock, fuel is fresh as well. No FI light during the whole thing.

It was/is running SO nice with the o2 's removed, but am afraid to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with it. Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

I ran into something similar when I installed my O2 eliminators. What seems to work for me is as follows. Everytime I turn the bike of, I first use the kill switch then the key to off. For starts, I do key first, let it do its LCD check, then kill switch on, let it do the FI check, then the starter. This works about 98% of the time. On the few occations when it still runs rough, I just do the above and it works fine. Wish I knew why this happens. Hope this helps.

It's the only thing I have done. It was also a normal start, didn't do the prime/off/start/key method and don't want to.

I've had that happen to mine (an 02) a couple of times as well.....mind you, I've done all the mods... pipes, K & N, pair valve, flapper, snorkel and O2 sensors. Now with PCiii installed last night, I'll see if that ever happens again AND hopefully fix that 4-5K rpm stumble that I experience. If not, I'll do the ignition key thing....is there a reason you dont want to?

P.S. But even if you do that, I believe its for mainly rectifying the 4-5K stumble, not the issue you described. But hey, it cant hurt.

• Member Contributer

Try starting the bike before the ECU does its start-up checks. Run it for a second. Shut it down. Should be fine, (as long as you let the ECU cycle before you start). Do you do that? Hope you don't get stuck, and I have to eat my words. LOL. What is the idle at?

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys... No I have not done a start bypassing the ECU yet and don't really wanna get into that routine as I am severely lazy.

I did get a bit worried and took it apart again and put it back to stock, went for a ride and realized that there is no way I will ever be able to ride with them connected again, the ride sucked.

So... I took it all apart again and put the o2 elims back in. Went for another ride, the exact same route without a glitch. Maybe the first issue was caused by a Corporate Honda gremlin who lives in the bike, he's probably upset that I altered their design.

Idle is and was at 1200, didn't change and I am fairly anal at keeping at 1200. The bike only has 2400km on it.. maybe that has something to do with it.

For what it's worth my low rpm has smoothed 100%, doesn't even feel like the same bike. I can now use throttle making tight turns without the bike jerking all over. Also my U-Turns have become tighter as I don't need to play with the clutch as much. I haven't noticed a 4-5 stumble yet, doubt my bike is any more special though either. It's waiting for me I know.

If it's normal for the bike to stumble and die or almost die then I just had a normal experience I guess.

Such an awesome bike, wish it didn't need so much tweaking though.

Thanks again.

• Member Contributer

All the gobble-de gook, with your gauges, prior to everything going to zero, is the ECU start-up check. If you're turning the key, and hitting the start Immediatly, (before things clear out), is prolly the problem.

+ bump the idle to 1300-1400.

• Member Contributer

I always wait for the gauges to settle then hit start. I did tried the ecu bypass once but it did nothing so I never did it again.

I will try 1300 and see what that gets me.

It was just a little scary. Cause it was hard to get power out of it when it was happening. Felt like it was running super lean or too rich or something. Just felt dead. And took at least 3k on rpm to get it moving without it dieing. Once moving though it went back to normal...

Archived