Shifting The Vfr

skuuter

• Member Contributer

Every now and then, I run across a post with someone semi-complaining about their VFR not shifting as good as a "WHATEVER" that they have test ridden, previously owned, or thinking of trading for. This has never been the case for me. I'll start with my favorite part of the VFR "shift cycle".

Both VFRs that I've owned (06 Black, 07 R-W-B) are the best, smoothest downshifters I've ever owned. Both can / could be "clicked" down quickly, and effortlessly (second best being the "believe-it-or-not" Ninja 250). The upshift falls into the "probably" Top 5 list. The shifting is actually better than the Gold Wing all the way across the spectrum. Gold Wings are prone to "green light neutrals" when downshifting from second to first (have free-wheeled into a few parking lots). The hydraulic clutch response and effort being tied with the Wing also. Only thing better about the Wing's clutch is it engages the trans with less lever release (both of my VFRs released the clutch close to the end of the travel). My absolute best upshifters have been Triumph Triples, and my CBR1000RR...... :blush:

I guess over-all, this makes the VFR the best trans / clutch package I've had the pleasure of owning....................... :dry:

• Member Contributer
(both of my VFRs released the clutch close to the end of the travel).

Being a two-finger clutcher, I like that. :blush:

+1. Tho I only have my previous bike (my 1st) to compare it to, the VFR is much better. Once in awhile I'll upshift from 1st into neutral when I meant to go to 2nd, but that's my fault for a poorly executed shift - not the bike's fault.

Esp. when it's had a fresh oil change, my VFR shifts "like buttah!" Smooth but positive action with an audible 'click'. And all gears are the same, whether upshifting or downshifting...it's just very consistent. :dry:

And the clutch is very good. An easy pull with a nice amount of travel and good friction zone - not too narrow and not too wide. The clutches on a few modern bikes are either way too stiff or too wimpy. Honda got it right on this one. :blush:

The VFR was the best shifter I'd had when I bought it. However, because I'm aparently a SerialGearboxWrecker, it's now less than stellar, even though the Evo Start Shifter Doohickey helps. A lot!

What doesn't help is the oil it's currently thrashing its cogs around in. A couple of weeks ago, I needed some new erl and a filter, so I left it up to my "bike guy" to sell me whatever he thought best. Turned out that was Motul 10W40 mineral oil, after being a user of Motul 5100 20W50 or 15W50 for YEARS.

It's... less than stellar :blush: . The gearchanges are somewhat rough, and I get a whiff of mineral oil smoke on slowing down.

If I wasn't saving my pennies to go to Urp in August, I'd dump it and replace it with summat else.

• Member Contributer

Man, the timing of this couldn't be any better. I have been experiencing some clunky shifting with Mobile1. Not impressed at all with it in this bike. I'm due for another oil change in the next week or two. I'm not sure what I'm going to try next. But I will agree, over all the trans in the VFR has been pretty smooth.

• Member Contributer

Not wanting to turn this into an OILThread.....just for the info, I use Honda 10w/40 HP4 Red Top Semi-synthetic without Moly. Have had other Hondas in the past with 80,000+ miles, no problems........ :blush:

WARNING: This post off limits to a "Baileyrock Honda Oil Opinion".................. tongue.gif

Not wanting to turn this into an OILThread.....just for the info, I use Honda 10w/40 HP4 Red Top Semi-synthetic without Moly. Have had other Hondas in the past with 80,000+ miles, no problems........ :blush:

WARNING: This post off limits to a "Baileyrock Honda Oil Opinion".................. tongue.gif

Same oil here. Nothing but sweet shifts. I like the release at the end of the stroke. That is where it is supposed to be.

Oh God. This is turning into another dreaded oil thread. :pissed:

Must...resist...posting...oil info...

Ah, what the heck. Last time I changed mine (about 2k ago) I used Valvoline DuraBlend. It's working well so far.

Hey, Skuut - What's the typical per quart cost on that there fancy Honda oil?

• Member Contributer
Man, the timing of this couldn't be any better. I have been experiencing some clunky shifting with Mobile1. Not impressed at all with it in this bike. I'm due for another oil change in the next week or two. I'm not sure what I'm going to try next. But I will agree, over all the trans in the VFR has been pretty smooth.

At the risk of spurring on the oil debate I'll admit that I found the M1 did make for rougher shifting when I switched from the HP4.

• Member Contributer
At the risk of spurring on the oil debate I'll admit that I found the M1 did make for rougher shifting when I switched from the HP4.

That's good. At least I'm not dreaming it. I haven't been around here long enough to be subject to the VFR oil debate. However, the same thing happens with every bike forum.

Yup, Mobil 1 (can't get the Mobile 1 here) was crap when I tried it - about the same as the crappy Motul 10w40 that's in there now (except I felt more gooderer about using some fancy-schmancy oil).

As someone who started a few threads entitled "clunky shifting" or other titles to that effect, let me just say that thick oil has done marvels to my VFR's shifting, although I occasionally get a harsh upshift but this could be due to inappropriate execution on my part (not always obvious what I did wrong!). Upshifts also seem to be even smoother the shorter the clutch lever is pulled, seems like 1-2 inches is all that's needed, any more will result in a harsher engagement (for technical reasons I couldn't explain). As for downshifts, oddly enough, I'm not so convinced, even with perfectly matched RPM (with clutch disengaged nonetheless) it's rarely butter smooth as upshifts can be, I guess more practice will make perfect?!

Regards,

Bruckner

Archived