Cortech Gx Air 2 Jacket Vs Cortech Gx Sport 2 Jacket

BrittC

• Member Contributer

I hope I can get some opinions on a jacket/pants purchase I just made.

I recently purchased some Tourmaster/Cortech gear, and when it showed up I discovered that I made a mistake when ordering.

When I was shopping, I was looking for the Cortech GX Air 2 jacket. Somehow I ended up purchasing a Cortech GX Sport 2 jacket. I should have noticed, but I just didn't.

The price difference between the Air and the Sport is about $100. The Sport seems to have a nice ventilation system but the Air is obviously mesh and would flow air much better. I don't live in the desert but here in the Chicago area it can get quite toasty in the summer. And it can be quite cool as well.

So, anyone who has the Sport, can you give me your opinion on its ventilation system?

I'm trying to decide if I should send it back and pay for shipping and the $100 for the Air. Or, should I keep it and spend the $100 on a simple mesh jacket with good armor? Or will I wish I skipped mesh if I ever go sliding down the road in it? I know some people say yes.

My jacket history consists of a black Joe Rocket Ballistic v1.0 jacket that I've had for YEARS. I wear it year round, and of course it's very hot in the summer. The ventilation is not good - but it did its job in a highside a few years back. Which is why I'm now looking for protection with good ventilation.

Thanks in advance everyone!

• Member Contributer

The Cortech GX Air Series 2 Jacket has Brazillian leather on the elbows, shoulders, and back (?). I saw it on line somewhere for $219.99 including shipping. It was $224.99 or more other places. If this is the jacket you're talking about and are interested, I'll try to find the site with the low price.

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents...

I bought the Cortech GX Air last spring as I needed a jacket to go with my new bike. Decided on the GX Air for the versatility. Mulitple jackets in one. I really didn't want to buy 2 or 3 different jackets.

The mesh is great in the warm weather. You have the protection yet still get the breeze. I like that. Obviously it's warmer than a Tee shirt but I'd guess it will perform better in the event you go down... worth the few degrees in my mind... I bought the First Gear Air pants as well & like their versatility as well.

Add the waterproof liner & it works well to cut the wind as well as to stop the wet.

Add the insulated liner & it's plenty warm for the early spring & late fall. I wore it on a few 32 degrees F rides and with only a sweatshirt under it staying toasty. If only I could keep my fingers as warm!

Down side is that it gets bulky with the 2 liners...

If you need one all weather jacket I reccommend it highly for the $.

If you have a spring/fall jacket already, don't spend the extra and get an all mesh jacket...

PS: try morepowerracing.com they had pretty good pricing & I've had good luck with them on a few orders...

• 4 years later...

I have been looking at this jacket for awhile now for hot summer riding. I like that it has leather in the "fall zones", but is also mesh and should flow a lot of air. I found it on motorcyclegear dot com on clearence for only $99, so i had my g/f get me that for my Bday next week. She recieved it in the mail the other day, but refuses to let me see it till my birthday. So I guess sometime next week i should be able to let you know what i think about it. But honestly, if you dont mind the yellow one, and wear an xl or xxl (thats all they have left now), i'd go ahead and order it. You cant beat $99 for a nice jacket. motorcyclegear has some of the best customer service I've ever come across and you wont have any prob returning it if you dont like it. I've bought lots of stuff there, and returned some of it, and never had anything but fantastic service. But i'll write back once i try the jacket anyway.

• Member Contributer

I have had my Air GX for several years and it is a great jacket. It is good down to my lower temp riding limits of around 40 degrees and works well in the 108 degree weather we are seeing here currently. I have also tested it's crashwothyness during a get off in the Texas Hill Country a couple of years ago, some abrasions on the leather back pad but no seam splitting or mesh tearing. I will certainly consider another Air GX when it comes time to retire this one.

• 1 month later...

I have a Cortech GX Air (1 not 2) and I use it for 85% of my riding. Great jacket with the leather in critical parts......has lasted four years thus far with no issues and flows a lot of air. Highly recommend it sir...

Archived