Icon Field Armor Boot

zx5go

• Member Contributer

Any one using them? I'm looking for something to commute in that I can just walk right into work and not change. We're business casual but with all the "variety" in footwear these days I don't think these would present an issue.

The only thing I don't like is they seem to have little if any medial (inner) ankle protection. I also looked at the Super Duty 3 which appear to have the ankle protection but the write-up on newenough says, "The all day comfort is partially because the boots have only some light-duty ankle padding but no integral hard armor pieces, but the leather is thick and should provide good abrasion protection." So, even though they appear to have plastic "pucks" in the ankle it must only be padding.

• Member Contributer
Any one using them? I'm looking for something to commute in that I can just walk right into work and not change. We're business casual but with all the "variety" in footwear these days I don't think these would present an issue.

The only thing I don't like is they seem to have little if any medial (inner) ankle protection. I also looked at the Super Duty 3 which appear to have the ankle protection but the write-up on newenough says, "The all day comfort is partially because the boots have only some light-duty ankle padding but no integral hard armor pieces, but the leather is thick and should provide good abrasion protection." So, even though they appear to have plastic "pucks" in the ankle it must only be padding.

These are what I wear every day to work, at work, and another pair for weekend riding. I've had all kinds of bike boots from Alpine Stars full race to H-D cruiser types......these so far have been my favorites............. :goofy: :fing02:

If your asking about these Field Armor Boots and not the Chukka; then yes I have them although I don't think their comfortable enough for alot of walking and their heavy. They also took a bit to get used to when shifting. I have to angle my foot (size 10) to get under the shifter; they are very thick. I think they have lots of support.

• Member Contributer
If your asking about these Field Armor Boots and not the Chukka; then yes I have them although I don't think their comfortable enough for alot of walking and their heavy. They also took a bit to get used to when shifting. I have to angle my foot (size 10) to get under the shifter; they are very thick. I think they have lots of support.

Exactly what I have....(Size 9)....I've even hiked in The Smokies for miles after breaking them in good........... :goofy:

I am not a "Thread-Jacker", honest....

but does anyone know how the Icons stand up againts these Thor 50/50?

thor-mx-50-50-boots-black.jpg

I need info before I open wallet. Thanks

• Member Contributer

thor-mx-50-50-boots-black.jpg

Not familiar with these, but there is a Moto Guzzi rider here that has these......can probably get an opinion and/or info the first of the week. I know he's had his a long time and wears em' every day........... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I don't have any experience with the Icon boots. But from just looking at the pic they look way to chunky. I've got a 13 and there is no way I'm getting my foot under the shifter in those. I'm also not a fan of Icon gear in general. Their pants are to baggy, shoes look to clunky and their helmets are to heavy. But that's just me.

• Member Contributer
I don't have any experience with the Icon boots. But from just looking at the pic they look way to chunky. I've got a 13 and there is no way I'm getting my foot under the shifter in those. I'm also not a fan of Icon gear in general. Their pants are to baggy, shoes look to clunky and their helmets are to heavy. But that's just me.

Not as bad as they look after break-in.......mine work great, even on the little Ninja........... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I wear these Cruiserworks Defender boots when I ride to work. They are fairly normal looking sticking out from under your pants leg, really comfortable, and have kevlar lining in the shank along with heel & toe cups. May not be the "best" protection as they don't have a lot of padding, but I wear them with dress slacks, dockers, or jeans. The soles aren't too thick so shifting is not affected at all for me. They are pricey at about $250/pair.

I wear the Super Duty 3's in to work a couple of days a week under jeans and they are quite comfortable. They don't come up as high as a touring/track boot, of course, but there is plenty of protection around the ankle (a couple of layers of leather on each side, at least). You're (that's the contraction of "you are", not "your", the possesive pronoun) going to be happy with those if you get them, I think.

• Member Contributer

Not as bad as they look after break-in.......mine work great, even on the little Ninja........... :fing02:

I have a pair of the Super Duty 1's, Size 13 and never had any problems with the shifter on my 02.

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone! I ordered a pair of the Field Armor and I may order the Superduty 3's in a few weeks.

• Member Contributer

Not as bad as they look after break-in.......mine work great, even on the little Ninja........... :biggrin:

I have a pair of the Super Duty 1's, Size 13 and never had any problems with the shifter on my 02.

As long as they work for you guys. I'm not comfortable wearing something that clunky. I'll stick with my Teknic's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got them in last Friday and I've worn them about 12 hours or so. Skuuter, you are right, they just need to break in! After I first put them on and during the first couple of hours I thought I'd made a mistake but after a few more hours they started to feel comfortable and the ankle area is really breaking in (the toe area is going to take a little longer).

• Member Contributer
Got them in last Friday and I've worn them about 12 hours or so. Skutter, you are right, they just need to break in! After I first put them on and during the first couple of hours I thought I'd made a mistake but after a few more hours they started to feel comfortable and the ankle area is really breaking in (the toe area is going to take a little longer).

Hope you like yours....(IMO) they really are a good street boot........ :fing02: Yes, they do require some patient break-in....... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Icon boots are poorly made!!!!

I destroyed a brand new pair in a less than 40ft slide. All of the stitching on the toes had given up and the leather was starting to disintegrate, had my slide been any longer the integrity of the boot would've been completely gone. With as tough as they feel I was surprised and disappointed. My mesh jacket survived the same slide intact for reference.

• Member Contributer

I'm a construction worker and wear my work boots to commute to the job. The cabonex toe are lighter than steel toes and with the hot sole inserts they are more comfortable than most of my everyday shoes. Even if i didn't work construction i'd consider a comfortabe work boot for commuting. I'm told chicks dig them as well. Drawbacks would be the laces.

Not a fan of Icon Field Armor boots. The toes are too thick, making shifting too cumbersome. I think they'd make better cruiser boots tho. Just my $0.02.

I own that exact color of 50/50 boots, which I bought for (I think) $100 plus tax last fall at the Iron Pony in Columbus, OH. I've been wearing them all year. They didn't take long to break in and are holding up well so far. They are very comfortable, even for my wide feet. I don't do a lot of walking during rides, but they are certainly comfortable enough to wear all day and do some standing around/walking around in before/during/after rides. If you are going to wear them at work I'd say buy some inserts, as the footbed padding isn't made for that.

Protection-wise they obviously aren't race-style boots, but they are better than any regular hiking or work boots, and maybe better than some hiking-boot-style Icons, etc. The toes are a little thicker than race boots, but not as thick as the Icons discussed on this thread. I do have to "toe out" a bit for upshifts, but once I got used to that it was no problem, plus I don't think I have to toe out as much now as when I was breaking these in.

With two adjustable buckle closures and no laces they are a breeze to get in and out of. They seem to breathe OK, but there aren't many holes in them for ventilation. They are not waterproof but I've worn them in a little bit of rain and didn't experience soaking wet feet. (Of couse, the VFR's fairings help with that a little bit, too.) Hope that helps, Timmy!

I had a pair of Field Armor and returned them after one ride. I wear a 13 so the boot was hard to get under the shifter. They were extremely comfortable and looked great. They seemed to have great ventilation. I now have some Alpinestars Web Goretex and love them. Very low profile.

• Member Contributer
I had a pair of Field Armor and returned them after one ride. I wear a 13 so the boot was hard to get under the shifter. They were extremely comfortable and looked great. They seemed to have great ventilation. I now have some Alpinestars Web Goretex and love them. Very low profile.

It did take a little adjustment to get used to shifting with the FA and they continue to feel better each time I wear them. I also have a pair of Alpinestars Effex Gortex. Their nice when it's cool or wet but the FA ventilate much better.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a fan of Icon Field Armor boots. The toes are too thick, making shifting too cumbersome. I think they'd make better cruiser boots tho. Just my $0.02.

I own that exact color of 50/50 boots, which I bought for (I think) $100 plus tax last fall at the Iron Pony in Columbus, OH. I've been wearing them all year. They didn't take long to break in and are holding up well so far. They are very comfortable, even for my wide feet. I don't do a lot of walking during rides, but they are certainly comfortable enough to wear all day and do some standing around/walking around in before/during/after rides. If you are going to wear them at work I'd say buy some inserts, as the footbed padding isn't made for that.

Protection-wise they obviously aren't race-style boots, but they are better than any regular hiking or work boots, and maybe better than some hiking-boot-style Icons, etc. The toes are a little thicker than race boots, but not as thick as the Icons discussed on this thread. I do have to "toe out" a bit for upshifts, but once I got used to that it was no problem, plus I don't think I have to toe out as much now as when I was breaking these in.

With two adjustable buckle closures and no laces they are a breeze to get in and out of. They seem to breathe OK, but there aren't many holes in them for ventilation. They are not waterproof but I've worn them in a little bit of rain and didn't experience soaking wet feet. (Of couse, the VFR's fairings help with that a little bit, too.) Hope that helps, Timmy!

your reply sealed for me. I just paid for a pair on line and they should be here soon. They do look the business, and at work, I wear spit polished Dr. Martens anyway so these are for back and forth and should really fit the bill.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

The Thor 50/50 boots arrived, and in case you were considering some new boots, here is a mini review:

I actually wear a 9.5 so these in size 10 scared me a little. Nothing to worry about. The metal buckles are very, very adjustable and you can talor the fit rather well. They are more comfy than any other bike-specific boot I have ever worn and the only indication that they are bike boots when you are walking is a slightly stiffer than usual sole. (good for on the bike)

I could wear these all day with no problem, agin, VERY comfy. They are a bit warm, but I dont mind as I ride all year long anyway. They were bought with the intention of wearing on rides and to and from work, and in that respect, I think I made the right choice. 61 bucks on e-bay, worn twice by preivious owner, cant be beat.

I will report on the water-proofness after a wet ride. I hope this helped at leat one or two folks who are shopping.

a-piens-pics009.jpg

a-piens-pics010.jpg

Archived