What To Buy

wrestler

• Member Contributer

I haven't been riding long but I envision stepping it up a pace.

I live in Ga. where it doesn't get that cold for very long.

I will at some time head to track days for the experience.

I am thinking of buying a pair of pants only with pucks to

zip onto my mesh Joe Rocket Jacket

Or getting a one peice Joe Rocket GPX Type R One-Piece Suit.

Opinions please!!!!

• Member Contributer

On the track you need full leathers. Down south you're gonna want as much perforated as possible in a suit. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I have a Joe Rocket Blaster perf jacket and Blaster perf pants. They have a full circumference zipper, but no knee pucks. Works for me but I'm not looking to get my knee down.

The biggest consideration is fit depending on your size & proportions. 1-piece suits work for my friends that are of average height/build, but at 6'3" I couldn't find any that were comfortable. ...

Search around on here. There is guy that is custom making leathers for $350 a set, for a one piece. I am planning on buying a set this summer. This price can not be beat for custom leathers, and can barley be beat by premade leather.

Maybe this will help..

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38404

Like rustbucket said..

Living in the south you want perf or turn your suit into a swimming pool.. If you ride in the winter sub-50 degrees you may want to look into a winter and summer suit..

My Agvsport 2pc isnt perf and below 40mph is quit warm in the summer.. If im going thru town i unzip n hold it open for air even though it does have 2 zipper vents in the front and 2 in the back..

In the winter 2 layers underneath and im good to just below 30 degrees till 60 degrees

Sorry i cant help much with the joe rocket question except if you want to do track days most will allow a 2pc or 1pc as long as it is leather with a full 360 zipper..

Search around on here. There is guy that is custom making leathers for $350 a set, for a one piece. I am planning on buying a set this summer. This price can not be beat for custom leathers, and can barley be beat by premade leather.

Dont remember the name either.. are you referring to the one in san fran.. I think there is a guy in Ga too...

Also search ETR (easttnriders.com) for kobe leathers..

If you are in the Atlanta area, check out CycleGear. I picked up a Frank Thomas one piece leather suit on sale, complete with pucks for less than $300 a couple years ago. I can say for certainty, they will protect you nicely in a 70+ mph off the bike excursion on the track.

• Member Contributer

I wore my Vanson leather pants and leather jacket (zipped together) at Kevin Schwantz' school in Georgia in the summer. Very thick black leather that was too dang hot. I bought an Alpinestars suit after that. Very nice but pricey. Make sure you get a moiture-wicking under garment. It makes it easy to get in and out of the suit. What's yer price range?

• Member Contributer
Also checkout newenough.com they have great deals too.

Thanks guys for all the information. All very helpful.

I will just have to make up my mind and make a move.

Like you all, I want to be safe and look good :biggrin:

I can't believe how helpful this site is.

Peace

• Member Contributer
I wore my Vanson leather pants and leather jacket (zipped together) at Kevin Schwantz' school in Georgia in the summer. Very thick black leather that was too dang hot. I bought an Alpinestars suit after that. Very nice but pricey. Make sure you get a moiture-wicking under garment. It makes it easy to get in and out of the suit. What's yer price range?

Red,

This is valuable info. I am willing to go up to 500 but if I can do it for a lot

less, I will be very happy. Your suggestion, reminder about a moisture-wicking

under garment is on time. I am leaning toward a Joe Rocket perforated suit. I am

5'8", 180 with 42 chest. I think a size 42 will do it. Am I right?

• Member Contributer
If you are in the Atlanta area, check out CycleGear. I picked up a Frank Thomas one piece leather suit on sale, complete with pucks for less than $300 a couple years ago. I can say for certainty, they will protect you nicely in a 70+ mph off the bike excursion on the track.

Hi Cigarbuf,

Thanks for the info. These Frank Thomas leathers look pretty sleek. They seem

to fit like a glove but are seem pretty comfortable. They are $400 now. Inflation

I guess. I am 5'8, 180,42chest. will the size 42's do the trick??

wrestler

• Member Contributer

Hey Wrestler,

Have you given any thought to mesh? It's lighter, breathes better than leather, and does not cost as much. The down side is that it doesn't protect as well against abrasion.

If you are set on leather, Cortec has the nice price, but does not compare to Vanson.

I ride in leather in winter, or just out for kicks. My commuting gear is Olympia mesh in summer. Leather is just too hot with work/street clothes underneath.

Heading to Deals Gap, with the wild bunch this weekend! You gonna be up the country?

Mac

• Member Contributer
Hey Wrestler,

Have you given any thought to mesh? It's lighter, breathes better than leather, and does not cost as much. The down side is that it doesn't protect as well against abrasion.

If you are set on leather, Cortec has the nice price, but does not compare to Vanson.

I ride in leather in winter, or just out for kicks. My commuting gear is Olympia mesh in summer. Leather is just too hot with work/street clothes underneath.

Heading to Deals Gap, with the wild bunch this weekend! You gonna be up the country?

Mac

Hi Mac, I have a mesh jacket(Joe Rocket) already. Probably should get some pants to compliment the jacket and get a two piece leather for when I arrive onto the track.

Wrestler,

No matter which brand of leathers you decide to purchase, make sure you try them on first. Every brand has different size characteristics.

Hi Cigarbuf,

Thanks for the info. These Frank Thomas leathers look pretty sleek. They seem

to fit like a glove but are seem pretty comfortable. They are $400 now. Inflation

I guess. I am 5'8, 180,42chest. will the size 42's do the trick??

wrestler

Try them on before buying. You will probably end up with a 44 just so you don't have to have 3 people help you get in and out of them.

• Member Contributer

Red,

This is valuable info. I am willing to go up to 500 but if I can do it for a lot

less, I will be very happy. Your suggestion, reminder about a moisture-wicking

under garment is on time. I am leaning toward a Joe Rocket perforated suit. I am

5'8", 180 with 42 chest. I think a size 42 will do it. Am I right?

One other thing. During track days you'll be on and off the track a number of times. During the afternoon, in the summer, you will be slouched in a chair with half your suit hanging down around your waist as you try to get cool before your next outing. A one piece is not easy to get in and out of. I point this out because Joe Rocket, Teknic, Motogp, AGV Sport, Frank Thomas, and other mid level manufacturers make two piece suits that have a full circumference zipper which most tracks accept as proper safety equipment. They look good too -- just like a one piece. From a practical standpoint, a two piece is certainly easier to eat lunch in, let me tell you.

Another thing: The Italian suits are made for skinny people. I'm a bit stocky and although I've been out on the track on a Dainese suit, I probably would've been more comfortable in a Joe Rocket -- they're made with more room for us Americans. Don't get it too loose or your suit's armour will shift around if you go down. My alpinestars fits fine: it is a 42 (euro 52) and I'm 5'7", 165 lbs.

Last note: if you crash with perforated leathers, look into barnacle bill's to have them fixed. Perforated leathers are very tricky to fix right.

• Member Contributer

Motoport.com.... very pricey but I love my Kevlar mesh... As good or better than leather and breathes really well. They have 2 piece sets or 1 piece. Track rated as well...

• Member Contributer

I would stick with leather for better abrasion protection. You will be surprised at how well some perforated jackets will ventilate. A two piece set is going to be more versatile and will be acceptable for track days if it has a full circumference zipper.

I have owned two sets of perforated leathers that work fine on hot days. My RS Taichi leathers flow a lot of air.

• Member Contributer

Gap,

I had forgotten that you gave me this recommendation a couple of days ago. Where do you live? Where can I find this guy? Maybe we can hook up and make it a ride experience

Ed

I haven't been riding long but I envision stepping it up a pace.

I live in Ga. where it doesn't get that cold for very long.

I will at some time head to track days for the experience.

I am thinking of buying a pair of pants only with pucks to

zip onto my mesh Joe Rocket Jacket

Or getting a one peice Joe Rocket GPX Type R One-Piece Suit.

Opinions please!!!!

Given where you live, my suggestion would be to purchase a well ventilated (fully perfed) 2-pc with full circ. zipper, if you are not intending to spend too much time on a race track.

2-pc is much easier to live with from a practicality standpoint, especially where hot weather is a factor. Try taking a piss in a 1-pc and tell me I'm wrong.

When cool/cold temps arrive you can wear a windproof undergarment (I use RS Taichi Gore Wind Stopper one piece under both my leathers and 'stich).

I have owned a 2-pc (AGV, poor quality, but cheap), and now own a FirstGear 1-pc (better quality, good fit, reasonable cost), with zipper ventilation, front and back. My 1-pc is not ventilated adequately for use in warm/hot weather, is a pita when sport-touring where potty breaks are required. Were I to do over, I'd buy a 2-pc.

When fitting, don't forget to allow room for a good back protector, but it should fit you like a good pair of gloves, comfortable and snug, so armor stays where it is needed.

On a final note, I tour with a 2-pc 'stich, do day rides in the twisties with the leathers (spring and fall) and also textile and mesh (both FirstGear) when it's hot.

Get the very best that you can afford, as it may save you a world of hurt later. Get upgraded armor where available. Besides, quality gear lasts. My 'stich is over ten years old, with well over 100,000 miles on it, and holding up quite well, though it is faded.

Gap,

I had forgotten that you gave me this recommendation a couple of days ago. Where do you live? Where can I find this guy? Maybe we can hook up and make it a ride experience

Ed

Gap trash is currently living in or near raliegh,Nc (sp?) bu tis from Cookeville Tn.. Pm Him (best chance to contact) New job and moving to new town...

Search easttnriders.com for custom leathers or here on VFRD.. If you cant find something let me know and i will look for you.. I know who he is talking about but cant remember the name exactly..

Archived