Headlight Failure Question

Guest Phil900

Guest Phil900

Hi

this morning when I put the key to "on" position I saw the High beams light on. Look at the hi/low selector switch and it was in low position. I put the key to "off" and again to "on". Same result, High beam light on at the low beams position. When I play with the switch, from low to high and high to low, beams does'nt change the front lighting.

Is this some kind of fail safe mode to keep headlights on when a bulb dies ? Do I need to change both ?

Thanks

It sounds like a switch. My 5th gen (1998) had a low beam burn out last week and it is just dark on one side. When I switch to high beams both sides light up as normal. I would first try to open the switch and clean the contacts.

Or check the relay as described above.

When my bulb burnt out, it was only the low beam, and only 1 bulb at a time.

Switched to high beam until i could replace the bulb.

So, it doesn't sound like the bulb. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't had time to replace/verify the high beam relay but I had a bulb failure. I'm now with only one high beam. Now i'm asking myself if I'll will have problems with R/R.

What are the good replacement or easyest quick and reliable fix for this ? (I saw some replacement with bigger wires on vfrd. Is this enough to fix that definitly ?)

Thanks

Think I am in the same boat. Gonna have to try and fix this.

The same thing happened to you ?

After I changed my bulbs, my brights didnt work. Then all of the sudden 1 headlight went out. Then both, but the brights worked again. Now I only have 1 bright.

wiring or relay I figure. just ahve to find time to take it apart. relay is in the front faring as far as I can tell.

Hmm...

yesterday I checked both beams relay. In the service manual it says that there should be no connectivity when 12v is plugged. Both relay have connectivity when they are plugged to 12 v.

Both relay burnt at the same time ?? How can I have headlight if both are burnt ?

Any ideas of what can be the problem ?

Thanks

Hmm...

yesterday I checked both beams relay. In the service manual it says that there should be no connectivity when 12v is plugged. Both relay have connectivity when they are plugged to 12 v.

Both relay burnt at the same time ?? How can I have headlight if both are burnt ?

Any ideas of what can be the problem ?

Thanks

Measuring continuity will depend on where you take your measurements. You should have continuity at some points of course, or you would never have ground or power. The relay is just a switch made to take a load, to prevent your headlight switch from arcing. If only 1 headlight is out, I would suspect a bulb. If both go out at the same time, I would suspect a switch or relay problem.

Hi

this morning when I put the key to "on" position I saw the High beams light on. Look at the hi/low selector switch and it was in low position. I put the key to "off" and again to "on". Same result, High beam light on at the low beams position. When I play with the switch, from low to high and high to low, beams does'nt change the front lighting.

Is this some kind of fail safe mode to keep headlights on when a bulb dies ? Do I need to change both ?

Thanks

There is also a burnt high beam light. Both low went off at the same time and one high beam one week after the first event.

Archived